1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer side options

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gilroy69, Mar 12, 2016.

1. gilroy69

gilroy69 Junior Member

I have a 10k rated equipment trailer that I occasionally pull my skidsteer or broken down vehicle with.
    I am thinking of building some removable sides for it, utilizing the stake pockets. It seems like a pretty straight forward job, but having never done it before, I thought I'd ask for any advice or pointers from those of you who have experience with removable side rails.
    I'm thinking of just using 2x4s and 2x6s. The only thing I would be hauling would be firewood and maybe the occasional furniture or appliance.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

instead of 2x6's, use 2x10's or 12's.
  3. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

I'd use 2x4's for the uprights, but I'd use 1x10 or 12's. I guess it depends how much and often you are going to be stacking wood etc against the sides. Mine are just there to keep smaller stuff from falling off. 2x sides will be heavy. You will have to take them off before you can haul a car if they are over the fenders (won't be able to open the door to get out).
    Just some things I've learned over time.
  4. gilroy69

gilroy69 Junior Member

Those are exactly the kind of tips I was looking for. Thanks!