1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Restoration

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PabstBlueRibbon, Aug 29, 2011.

1. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

Picked this up from a guy on here.

Its a 12k 14' plus 4' beaver tail. Stripped the decking off it today and temporary welded the fender on so that it does not fall off going to my buddies shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

looks like a good start

3. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Looks like those are 14.5 tires/rims. If those are old mobile home axles be careful & check the bearings-spindles-races as those Dexter axles were only meant to go a few thousand miles over their service life. Looks like a wicked solid trailer otherwise.

4. PabstBlueRibbon

Frame wise it is solid. It towed paving equipment in its earlier life. Biggest problem is getting the hitch to a pick-up truck height since it was looked to a tandem dump. I have a friend that is a navy welder so Doing that is no big problem. Im replacing the tires as soon as I find some cheap ones and will be over hauling the axles. The frame is very solid. It is titled as a homemade so I will be underplating it since I dont move equipment.

5. PabstBlueRibbon

Has anyone re-decked a trailer? The outer boards were 2"x12" nominal and the middle boards were 2.5"x12" Actual. Can I just fur my joists the 1/2" I would need to get 2"x12" nominal to be flush with the frame?

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Kind of off topic a little bit but if you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for rough cut boards over buying PT at lowes? I'm starting a 16'+4' dovetail deckover trailer restoration tonight hopefully to be finished by next week and was wondering what the cost comparative was.

7. PabstBlueRibbon

There is really no place around here that I can get rough cut.

8. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

The new PT is highly corrosive to steel, insulate the boards from the steel somehow and use galvanized or stainless hardware, not zinc plated.

9. PabstBlueRibbon

Looks like I will be going pine now

10. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

that is a great tip I never knew that !

11. Willman940

Willman940 Senior Member

alright everyone stand back, time for my to flex my edgemacation, PT= PreTreated?

12. PabstBlueRibbon

PT= Pressure Treated or AC2

13. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

pressure treated wood is going to make a huge positive difference.