1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sawboy, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Hello all, haven't posted in a long while, but been reading.

I am looking for a trailer to tow my 65 Pontiac Catalina with. The problem is, I have never bought a trailer and am really getting confused here. I see them BRAND NEW on ebay with tandem 3500# axles and brakes for $1500. I see them USED on sites like this, lawnsite, and classic car sites for $2k. What am I missing here? Are the ones for $1500 junk? Like everyone else, I want to pay as little possible for something, but I don't want to find out the hard way that I got a crap trailer! Pulling 4500# at 65mph is NOT the time to have a problem. So I am willing to spend the money for safety and peace of mind. I just don't know what the hell to look for. :dizzy:

Can some of you guys help?

What should I be looking for in the construction of a car trailer?

Thanks in advance!

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

For a car I would suggest enclosed.

If it was me and if I was going to haul a older car I would only put it in a enclosed one and probably new just to make sure everything was in working order and new.

One thing you don't want is to come to your 1st stop and find your car has a tire sitting through a broken or rotted plank. Or a light that only works when you are going 38 mph on a summer day when the moon is in the west.

Enclosed because it would allow me to have a place for storage of some tools or what not. Plus the main reason of keeping it out of the elements at 65 mph. Sand or rocks an dirt that fly around do wonders to the nose of a towed car.

As far as prices on e-bay you have to remember that it is bidding. That price can increase a bunch. Plus shipping or cost of picking it up.

I would go local and save e-bay buying for when you need to replace the name plate off of it or a new radio for your older car.
  3. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

Make sure you get brakes on both axles.

In most states its the law, but I see trailers with brakes only on one axle all the time.
  4. Sawboy

Reaper, I hear ya about the enclosed, but the car is not a super rare or super pristine model. It is a really well done car that goes like heck, but it's a 4-door sneak up on ya kinda car, so enclosed would be overkill, Also, the $1500 prices are "buy-it-now" and they are within 200 miles.

Horsepowerlawns, law or not, I will only buy with brakes on both axles. Too much going in one direction at 65mph to try and save a few bucks on only putting brakes on one axle. But yeah, it's law here.
  5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

The trailer market is a strange thing. The prices can be all over the board. In alot of cases you can buy a new trailer for the same or a little more than a used one. The cheaper trailers you are talking about can be a good deal if you realize that your not buying the cadillac of trailers. The cheap ones can come w/ used tires and wheels, one braking axle instead of two, and the fit and finish are not the best. I have bought both top of the line and also the cheaper ones. I have never had to worry about the saftey of my budget trailer(6.5x14 tandem), it tows great. They just don't have all of the bells and whistles! You really have to just shop around and compare what your getting for your money. For example you can buy a coverd trailer at home depot for $3,000 ( 6x12)or go to a volume dealer and get the same exact trailer for just under $2,000. Take a look at ( johnstrailersales.com) If you don't mind driving you can do a factory pickup in indiana and save even more. My brother bought a trailer and no dealers in the detroit area could compete. I am not telling you go here, it's just an example of how the prices are all over. Ebay is not always the cheapest place, people tend to get caught up in winning an auction. Good luck with your trailer search !!!

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You are in Chicago area. Look at this place.

They also have some deals on used stuff that is like new. Worth a call maybe.

If it is buy it now price and worth your while you may want to go check it out before confirming a bid.
  7. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

I work for a place that sells trailers, in the shop. You do get what you pay for. But I have seen some "Pricey" trailers that I would not put my mower on.

We have people come from a few states away to buy trailers. All I can think of when I hear about someone comming from that far away (500-600 miles) is there has got to be someplace that sells trailers between them and us.

We did a hitch and airbags on truck that came of PA. They saved a few hundred by coming to us. Even when you factor in gas and time.

So shop around for what you are looking for, it could save you lots of $$.
  8. Sawboy

Reaper, R.A. Adams is a GREAT place. That is where I bought my plows at. Great service and great prices. I have called them on used, and they have my number if something comes up. They have nice new ones for 2k.
  9. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Sawboy. IMO if you're looking at enclosed and plan on keeping it a while stay away from Haulmark. The other thing to look at with ANY trailer is where are the tiedowns and what are they fastened to. Enclosed trailers are famous for this. You get this 1/2" or 3/4" plywood floor that is screwed-- not bolted-- to L shaped pieces of sheetmetal-- not angle or c channel-- that are halfass welded to the trailer frame on 2-4 foot centers. Then these "manufacturers" of these trailers lag screw or bolt a #3,000 tiedown ring to the wood floor which is pretty much fastened to --YES-- NOTHING!!! You pull your carin and tie it down tight you think and the first time you have to nail the brakes or swerve the car's weight tears the tiedowns out of the floor! But you do't know it till you stop for gas and see these goofy dents sticking OUT of thefront of the trailerand that's all if you're lucky. Then it's too late. PAce makes a good enclosed or open trailer. Also look into having a custom one built. Keep your demands reasonable and you may find it's not that expensive to get what you need and have something good. HAppy trailer huntingpayup :D
  10. hemisareslow

hemisareslow Member

I've Got A Nice Pace Enclosed Trailer I'd Sell Ya...i Believe It Is 23' Long Inside..8' Tall By 8' Wide...diamond Plate Floor...4500 Or Best Offer...breaks On Both Axles