1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer questions?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by lotus6six, Nov 10, 2011.

1. lotus6six

lotus6six Junior Member
    from Chicago

Just bought a Bobcat S175 for snow removal. Will be towing it w/ 3/4 ton or 1 ton (no goose neck). Needs to have room for bobcat w/ bucket and 1 attachment (most likely a v plow). Live in the city (Chicago) and all job sites will be local; although it may see limited use on highway. What kind (by kind I mean type not brand) of trailer should I get? If used what should I look for? What are some useful trailer accessories? How should I plate it (want to be legal, but other than when it's snowing it won't be used much except for odd subcontracted jobs here and there for extra cash in summer)? Do I need to upgrade my license (CDL)?
  2. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Just my .02 but that is a lot of weight to be pulling around in a snow storm! I know guys do it, but it just isn't for me. Remember you will be out in the worst weather and road condition, best of luck with whatever you decide!!
  3. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

If you're hauling the skid plus a bucket and plow I would go for an 18' to give you enough room. I use a 16' with a similar setup and it is tight.

Your state may be different but in Mn you need a medical card for a single unit or combo over 10,000 lbs and if your truck and trailer is 26,001 or more you need a cdl. A one ton with a skid trailer can easily be over the 26,001 lbs depending on your trailer capacity, so watch out there. My one ton with trailer is right at 26,000 so I'm 1lb under needing a cdl.

I attend a DOT seminar every spring, I suggest everyone attend one at least every few years.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  4. lotus6six

lotus6six Junior Member
    from Chicago

Cool thanks. I know it's alot to pull in snow, but I garage the skid and truck literally in the center of downtown Chicago (i manage parking lots). Our lots are in 2 groups, only 8 blocks between the 2 groups (one east one west of Chicago river). I would only need trailer to get from one group to the other; if I even need the trailer for that (need to check laws for driving skid on streets). Other then that, trailer would be for summer odd jobs. This will be my 4th season plowing, and because we are in the middle of downtown area, the city always keeps streets clean. Last years huge storm was the only time I've ever seen the streets too messed up to pull a trailer; but if something like that were to happen, I don't think I'd be bothered while driving the skid 8 blocks. Hell, I wouldn't even have customers to park in my lots. LOL. I will look into the DOT thing. I plan on getting CDL during summer anyways; never hurts to have the certification and knowledge. Just need to know if I would need to get it now.
  5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

One thing that I have on my trailer that I really like is the spring assisted ramps. It's a one hand operation now.

Like Greenery said, 18' will probably be the shortest you will want to go if you want to haul any kind of attachment with you.
  6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

7. corbel

corbel Junior Member

Does anyone tote their skid around in a dump trailer? I picked up my first skid, it's just for winter use for now, but we do general contracting and garbage is a constant battle. I have been looking into getting a 7x14 dump trailer (14k) and wanted to know from those with experience what some of the pros and cons are with these trailers?