1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by k1768, Feb 28, 2015.

1. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I currently have a 6x10 flat nosed cargo trailer that I'm not very found of. It's a PIA to back up and is rather squirrelly on the road. I used to have a dual axle flatbed trailer that was somewhere in the area of 20' in length, that pulled straight and smooth and I could easily back it into areas with half as much space as I need with this 6x10.

On to my question: I know that the maneuverability factor is tied to the length. What about the tracking of it on the highway; is that length, dual axles, both, or something else? I'm seriously considering selling the 6x10 and getting a bigger one. This one was bought with no time to research and I pay for that every time I use it. How long of a trailer should I be looking for?

It does not/will not get used very often. On average a few times a year to move a motorcycle, furniture, power equipment, etc...
  2. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

I have had a 8x10 snowmobile trailer throw me around because I didn't have any tongue weight on it.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Alot depends on the capacity of what you're towing it with. Basically, I'd go with the max trailer your vehicle csn handle easily.
  4. Nick B

Nick B Junior Member
    from Madison

Dual axle is what you want, it will help with tracking issues. But tongue what make a difference also. Make sure you have the right drop hitch also so the trailer sits level.
  5. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I sold the 6x10 the other day.
    Found a 2012 Carry-on 7x18 tandom axle V-nose for $4000. Haven't gone to look at it yet, pictures look good, seller says very little road use.
    Any thoughts on that brand? Has a curved roof which I like, but from what I've been able to find online it looks like it has 16" floor joists and 24" roof and walls, rather than 12" and 16". I can by a new off-brand 7x16 for close to that price, but with a flat roof. 7x16 Bravo or Haulmark running high $4000 to mid $6000 based on options, also with flat roofs.
    I will be using it to move a friend (recently widowed, so just him and his stuff) to Texas.
  6. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you're not using it a lot then buy the 2012. The flat roof trailers seem to leak a little more than the rounded roof trailers. If this is something you'd be using daily or weekly then I'd get one new and spec it out the way you want it
  7. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

That's why I'm after the rounded roof. And It will not be used frequently.