1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer problem HELP!!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by K20Fisher, Mar 31, 2008.

1. K20Fisher

K20Fisher Senior Member
    from Maine

My utility trailer the right wheel bows out the axle isn't bent and the wheel is tightend on all the way.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Spindle's bent.

3. K20Fisher

K20Fisher Senior Member
    from Maine

K so need new spindle how do i replace it i dont mean to sound dumb but i'm 12

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I know on my trailer the spindles and the axle are all one piece so if i bent a spindle i would have to replace the whole axle.

I just looked at Northerntool.com and it looks like they sell replacement spindles hopefully you can just replace the one spindle and not have to replace the whole axle.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  5. K20Fisher

K20Fisher Senior Member
    from Maine

thanks its a smaller trailer

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Most trailers require changing the entire axle to repair a bent spindle.

7. K20Fisher

K20Fisher Senior Member
    from Maine

thanks I was wondering about that.

8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

axel

the axle's are cheap compared to the labor tp replace the spindle considering the tube the spindle is welded to is bent outside the spring seat .it was probably over loaded so you better up the capacity of the axle .redneck trailer supply's sells them, they are built to order ,unless you are lucky and it is a standard size . you will need the bolt pattern,weather the springs are on top or the bottom of the tube ,spring centers on the axle hub face measurement (the flat spot the wheel bolts to ) take's about a week to 10 days if it needs to be made .

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you up grade the axle you might need heavier hubs, rims. tires, etc....

10. K20Fisher

K20Fisher Senior Member
    from Maine

Its like a 5x8 utiliity and it is on leaf springs.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Take the wheel off. Then take the dust cap off and you will see the bearings. Take the cotter pin off and then take the nut off. Take the hub off and you can see the spindle. That will show you if the spindle can be taken off and replaced.

12. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

trtailer

how many leafs in each spring ,and is it a double eye spring ,or a slipper spring ?most new axle's in a assembly come with new hub's and bearing's installed .the wheel bolt pattern define's how much capacity the axle can be made .for that size trailer 4000lb would be a :salute:lot,depend,s on how heavy the trailer is made .

13. K20Fisher

K20Fisher Senior Member
    from Maine

It was a kit trailer if that helps i will check the leafs today.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Is it one of those red kits you get from the discount houses? If so it could be a real pain. Some of them are metric, and the Brit system ones are often 3/4 spindle. Hard to find an axle beam for them. If this is the case it would be worth buying a complete assembly so you have serviceable hubs. Be sure to get a hub pattern to match your rims!

But I'd suggest investing in a more solidly built trailer. It would hold up better, handle more load and have serviceable parts.:waving:

15. K20Fisher

K20Fisher Senior Member
    from Maine

no actually i think my uncle bought it from the local trailer plae harvey trailers and it has 4 leafs on each side.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Pull a hub and check the spindles before you buy anything.

17. K20Fisher

K20Fisher Senior Member
    from Maine

sorry it's actually 6x12

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Turn it upside down and take everything apart.

19. SQuad

SQuad Member

Is your axel a tube or channel of steel?

20. K20Fisher

K20Fisher Senior Member
    from Maine

my dad checked it out and said its fine hes ben driving tractor trailers for 25 years