1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trailer plug

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Apr 1, 2015.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

im changing the 7 plug on our 03 f450 since its been for ever and is corroded. I got 8 wires coming out of the harness of the truck, Im trying to figure out the electric brake wire. theres a smaller light green wire and a bigger blue wire and both read brake. as far as I know the blue wire should be for the brake but have no idea why the green wire is there. anybody with an idea or has the same thing? I believe no one added it so it must of came from ford like that. when we got our hitch plate welded on they added wire to the harness and used all one color so I don't know where it was wired to, plus inside the plug was a mess. most likely ok to just tape up the green wire and just use the blue wire? thanks

2. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

The blue wire is the electric brakes, the green wire will be the brake lights. They both are powered by the brake pedal but the blue wire carries more amps to the brakes

3. dodgegmc1213

brake lights? they run through the turn wires tho.

4. flyguyirvin65

flyguyirvin65 Member

it would be used if you had separate turn and brake lights. cap it off if you have brake and turn together

5. dodgegmc1213

that's what I ended up doing, thanks

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Green is most often used for right turn/stop. Now most ford vehicles have a round plug that plugs into the backside of the 7 way plug. It looks like this. You can buy the trailer plug part and just plug the new one in.

a1.JPG

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The blue wire is your trailer brakes. The green wire marked brakes is for a center mount stop light used if you add a truck cab, etc.