1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer plug ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dheavychevy38, Dec 14, 2010.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

On my 2500hd I have the harness for the brake controller hooked up. I made a backup light setup but have no power to the 12volt power wire in the back. Is there a fuse for that wire or does it have to be wired into the plug ?

2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

In the under hood electrical center there is a space for a fuse for the 12v power wire to the trailer plug , most of the time I have seen it shipped with a "dummy" plug in the hole so you must remove it to install the fuse.

Good luck

TOM

3. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

There is a fuse in the spot your talking about Thumbs Up not sure if i's good though lol I will have to check tomarrow. Is that all that fuse is supposed to run ?

4. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

There are actually two , marked "stud1" and "stud2" , they power the 2 power studs on the side of the electrical center , one is for the 12v feed to the plug and one is supposed to be the feed for a brake controller.

The fuses in these location sometimes become blown and the owners rarely know about it until there is a problem, if you connect a trailer that draws more than the fuse is rated for or has a short somewhere in the charge line it will pop it and you will never know

I use a self resetting circuit breaker with two leads with female spade terminals plugged onto the original fuse terminals in the center on my own trucks , eliminates the fuse blowing problem.

TOM

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If no one has done it yet the 12 volt feed has to be installed on one of the studs, It is located in a different spot then the brake control feed.

6. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I had the same problem on the 02 I picked up last month, if it has the factory 7 way plug in the rear then all you need to do is plug in the harness under the dash to the brake controller. Then look in the fuse box under the hood there should be a dummy fuse or no fuse in the stud 1 or stud 2 position but to check which stud it's connected to you have to lift the plastic cover and look where the red wire is connected. These sites helped me to get it working http://www.randpcarriages.com/tech/chevynotowpackage.html and http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Chevy/tech/Prodigy/

7. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Correct , Thanks for the catch :salute:

TOM

8. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

2003 was a bad year for that, Chevy was shipping the wrong fuse and a trailer brake jumper configured differantly then the convinance box. If you use the factory jumper every time you turned on the headlights the brakes lock up.

10. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I remember those friggin things , ended up using aftermarket pigtails and modifying them so the guy's could just "plug and play" when they did brake controls . Once I got a customers wrong one I would mod that one and use it on the next one.......:D

TOM

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I had to laugh after like 6 months GMC finally caught on and sent letter to their customers and I had all these "Chevy sent me a letter" calls. I was amazed people "just wanted to check" I'd ask them if everything was OK "yes they work great" well that answers that question right.

And those red "dummy" fuses...WTF I cannot count the number of times people argue that there is a fuse in place when in fact it is the "dummy." The darn thing doesn't even power anything until you connect them, it goes to a covered stud:confused::dizzy: