1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Plug Removal?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Too Stroked, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Do any of you guys remove your 7-pin trailer connector plugs before plowing season? We’ve got a fleet of F-350’s and every year we pull the trailer plugs off, coat the exposed connector plug with dielectric grease, then tightly bag it with a small freezer bag and zip ties. The trailer connectors then get a shot of WD-40 on both ends, then they go upstairs for dry storage until spring.

Why do we do this? Obviously the plugs are the first thing that gets folded up and stuffed full of snow when backing up. Then there’s the fact that what gets crammed into the connectors is at least partially conductive. So every time you turn on the lights, brake, use the turn signals or reverse, you’ve got current running through the crap. Things turn green and ugly in pretty short order. Speaking of shorts, some of the newer trucks in the fleet seem to be even more sensitive to snow getting packed in there than the older stuff.

So, where’s your trailer plug?
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I've ''accidentally'':) banged into plenty of snow banks in 30+ years of plowing, but I can't remember ever folding up a trailer plug getting snow in there.I suppose it's possible but even still,why not just Fluid Film the inside of your plug?
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I use mine to trigger the reverse warning sensors on the spreader
  4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

You haven't seen what some of our guys can do. Titanium wouldn't be enough to protect one, so I doubt Fluid Film would do it.
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

mine stays on the back of the truck....never know when I might need to pull something
  6. dsears

dsears Junior Member

i use mine for my sander lights and strobe connections
  7. Buster F

Buster F Senior Member

I just bend it back down in the spring
  8. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Remove one of your plate lights and make the hole to fit you trailer plug. No more bent bracket or broken plugs.
  9. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

Thats what I did EIB so now its mounted in my bumper and I dont have to worry about it and its there if I need to pull a trailer
  10. wilkie

wilkie Junior Member

Mine gets bashed and bent every year normally at some point the fuse blows but never hurt anything... I just open the cover fill it with fluid film and leave it