1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer pin for sander

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Abchoppers, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Abchoppers

Abchoppers Junior Member
    from Ny

I have a fisher sander that I needed to replace the pin connector on, I bought a trailer 7 pin connector but now it's melting the hot wire as soon as I hook up the battery. My guess is there's something in the trailer connector that makes some of the 7 points make contact with each other and it won't work. Anyone have any experience using a 7 pin trailer connector on a sander? Thank you

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The 7 pin is a straight thru plug. Nothing should be cross energizing unless its wired wrong.

3. Abchoppers

Abchoppers Junior Member
    from Ny

Thanks for the quick reply. So can I just put my 7 wires anywhere on the pins as long as they match up on both sides? Or does each wire need a specific spot, like hot must be in center or something like that? Thank you for your help

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's correct, may want to use center as ground.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

7 pin will work I did same thing on my V box Factory plug only lasted about 4 yrs and my power pin broke off

I put the female side on the truck side so when I removed the V box the plug is protected laying in the bed

6. Abchoppers

Abchoppers Junior Member
    from Ny

Thanks a lot guys, I'll recheck my wiring to make sure nothing is touching and shorting. Thanks again