1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer parks

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by beanz27, Dec 8, 2014.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I did a search, didn't bear much fruit. Anyways, was just contacted to plow a trailer park.......is it really as easy as it looks? I mean it looks to me like that's the easiest plowing I've ever seen, just drive forward and plow.....anyone got anything special to say about them?

Just don't wanna sign them, then find out that it's something I'll regret. I'm still amazed they haven't signed anyone and it's december......amazing.

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Careful of the girls who live there... you could come home with something that don't wipe off. :eek:

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Great advice! I'll make sure to stay away from them!!Thumbs Up

4. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

I've seen at least one place that had speed bumps on its roads. Dunno how or even if that might affect plowing.

5. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed 1 once it was known to b called hillbilly heaven

6. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

That would be my concern, why they've waited this long or had issues getting a contractor.

7. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Price or lack of payment. I do a property that had a horrible rep. I seem to make them happy but I charge on the upper end & ice is near a zero tolerance. They are slow, very slow with payments tho. That's what late fees are for!

8. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Have you personally been on site and looked at what the conditions of the drive looks like? If it is something filled with potholes and other crap, that could be a reason.

If you are going to pick up on the chicks, go for the ones in the double wide, they are the upper echelon.

In all seriousness, maybe drop a line and see who they previously had doing the plow work. It may have been joe blow that lived in the trailer park with shovels duct taped to the front of his truck just to knock a few bucks off his rent. If that is the case, it may not be a bad gig, but if it was a reputable company, maybe you could ask them if you know someone within.

9. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

A lot depends on who owns the park but I would wonder why they don't already have someone to plow by now. If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

10. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

That's why I'm concerned. I'll be taking a look this week but I will be asking why they waited till December to figure something out for plowing.

11. snowcommander

snowcommander Junior Member

Any trailer park that calls I just give them an hourly rate. Usually scares them away which doesn't bother me because I'm not a fan of speed bumps on new trucks and plows...

12. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I'd be more concerned about all the empty PBR cans everywhere. Snow piles would look like hillbilly Christmas trees.

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well just went and took a look at it, I can see two reasons they don't have someone yet. One, nearly the whole place is gravel, 2 the place was just purchased and the lady that bought lives an hour or so away.

The problem I have is the contract that their "corporate office" wants me to sign. It's set up for contractors "rehabbing" trailers, and other guys like that. No mention of snow, and the contract basically goes against everything we discussed prior to my coming there. So we'll see if they want to sign mine, I'm not signing theirs.

Another thing, they apparently don't give me a check locally, Corporate does that, and they are based in Colorado. So I'm not sure I'd want to deal with that anyways, seems like a hassle that I don't like.

14. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Speed bumps and cars will be everywhere.

15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

No speed bumps here.....gravel everywhere though.

16. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

From what you described I think I would pass if it were me. Sounds like a lot of headaches.

17. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Kinda what I'm thinking. They asked for a per push, hourly, and seasonal price. All 3 were high for my area. If I get it, I think I'll be able to swallow it at the rates their paying....hell I might be able to compete with some you NY boys with pricing soon at the rate I'm goin lol.:Dpayup

18. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't say swallow when you are talking Trailer Parks ... FWIW

19. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

run forest run.....