1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Park Parking Spots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Remsen1, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

I recently bought a trailer that I will be living in which is located in a very nice trailer park. Don't feel bad for me, this is a step up for me from renting an apartment. I bought the trailer cash so my only expense is lot rent. Anywho. Now I live in a different area and I need different customers. I really would like to get as many of the driveways within the park as possible. I would also shovel their walks. One thing that will be new for me is a limit area for piling snow. Another new thing will be having my customers located so close to me. Many of the people in this park are older, they just recently started allowing younger people into the park.

There are 50-75 trailers in this park. I want to do a direct mailing to each tennant.

Has anybody else found this type of situation profitable? Anything that I should be aware of? I'm planning on charging $10-$15 each for these customers if they become regulars and probably $20 for emergency. Is that too little, too much for 10 minutes of work? In a typical winter there is plowable snow 1-2 each week. If I get 10 customers that would earn me $100-$300 per week. Is it a billing nightmare to have so many customers for such small amounts.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Remsen1 - I don't know your trailer park, of course, but usually the park management is responsible for snow removal. The trailer occupant might have a small area of responsibility where they park their car, but usually the park manager includes that, too. Some have a longer driveway with a carport, which might be worth $10 to clear. With what I'm thinking of, there would be a lot of backdragging. Then you'd need to plan carefully to leave room for stacking if you're using a plow. You might be better of using a snowblower.

3. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

Yes, the park does plow the roads, but each house has a two car parking spot. I thought of the snowblower idea as well. That would require some investment from me. I was hoping to use equipment that I already have. My previous residence required plowing, which I did myself fitting into my customer schedule.

I was thinking that instead of back dragging, I could approach the parking spot diagonally and pile off the sides of the driveway. Or I could backdrag and then push it to the sides. This may be easier on the blacktop as well.

Snowblower may be the ticket, but I don't have one at this time.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I got to thinking about your deal on the way home from work and came up with a couple of ideas that might work for you. First - do a market survey. Make up a short letter of introduction of yourself and what you propose to do. Include a phone # and email address and invite them to contact you if they would be interested in what you have to offer. Don't forget mowing in the summer and odd jobs - elderly especially have difficult time with simple things due to arthritis, sore muscles etc. Do you want to offer handiman services? If you are the only young person, you've practically got a captive audience. Emphasize that you will be available for emergencies and on short notice. Regarding buying a snowblower - if you get 10-15 positive responses figure you'll get 20-25 calls after the first snow. Use this to figure potential income to decide if a snowblower will pay for itself. One caution with the plow - plowing a diveway at an angle won't work. You still have to get all the snow off to one side. Unless you can plow straight ahead and leave it, you'll wind up in trouble.

If you would fill in your profile so we know where your from, it would help, also. If you're in a southern state and only get a couple of inches a year, a lot of this is wrong.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

A rear plow would really make the whole deal alot easier. In conjunction with a front plow, I think that you would really fly.
    If not a tractor mounted blower or broom.
    Dino

6. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Guest

Remsen go to http://www.hiniker.com/ and look at the Hinker c plow it is a regular plow in front but u push a button and it folds front ward like a full plow but its 2 in one pretty kewl check it out!

Adam :D

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

That C-plow is very cool. Thanks for the advice Mick, and I will take some time to fill in my profile. I didn't mention the odd jobs, but I did have that in mind as well :)

8. gotgetter

gotgetter Banned

I use to live in a trailer park and still mow lawns there.

There's a problem you left out. It's the fact that there will be a car (or cars) in the driveway. Most parks require you to keep your car in the driveway when it snows so they can plow the streets. At least this is how it was in my trailer park.

Of course this meant we were plowed in!! Sometimes had a very large pile up of snow directly behind the cars.

I just can't see how plowing these would be feasible when you consider the care factor and as you mentioned, there is usually NOWHERE to put any kind of snow.
    I'm thinking a blower/thrower would be the only way to go.

I see this thread is fairly old. I'd be interested to hear what you ended up doing.