1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trailer park bid help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DRP Mowing, Dec 7, 2004.

1. DRP Mowing

DRP Mowing Junior Member

well first off i would like to say hi to all of you and tell you upfront that i havent plowed snow before. But i Mow several lots in this park. The lot renters are curently in the process of buying out the owner and are putting together a budget for next season. I won the bid for mowing the common areas of this park and they now have asked me for a bid to plow. I would be using there plow truck, F250 with they said a 8ft blade. (I didnt see the truck, but its a 1999 they think)Anyway what i am asking is how much would be a fair price be for this? The owner of the place did the plowing and will be doing it this year and said it takes 3 hrs to do. They also salt and the truck has a spreader. Here are a few pics.On my trip meter it was 2 miles to drive around the place going in one direction.

Picture 147.jpg

Picture 151.jpg

Picture 146.jpg

Picture 148.jpg

Picture 149.jpg

2. DRP Mowing

DRP Mowing Junior Member

a few more pics. And they would be buying all the salt and supplies

Picture 150.jpg

Picture 152.jpg

Picture 153.jpg

Picture 154.jpg

Picture 155.jpg

3. DRP Mowing

DRP Mowing Junior Member

what i am asking is how much per hr would be fair. I have 5 driveways in the park also that i have had. I will be snowblowing these. If i am visable it could lead to more drives.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I would bid it by the hour.

You say it took them 3hrs. ...... For how deep of snow?

With their truck, I would do it for $30-40/hr

What happens when you break their truck?

5. DRP Mowing

DRP Mowing Junior Member

the person i was talking to didnt know how much snow for 3 hrs. And they take responsability for breakdowns and that type of thing.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Bid in the range that I gave if you are comfortable with this figure.

They will let you know if they are comfortable with your prices.

7. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Welcome. I think you need to consider a few things.
    1. You don't know what you're doing (not trying to be rude or negative, just stating blunt facts) - and this would give you an opportunity to learn a new trade. This could end up being worth something to you in the future.
    2. By NY laws, you would most likely (certainly) be considered an employee of the trailer park. Consider what you want to make at any job, and add some for the inconvenience of being on call and up all night.
    3. Does the park have workman's comp for you, hold all taxes etc., or is this a contractor arrangement - either way, be sure it's legit or in writing to protect everyone from the state.
    4. Do you have a "real job" that would interfere with this work?
    5. Personally, I won't leave the house for less than $100, let alone start my truck. Add middle of the night in a snow storm to that, and you're talking a lot more...
    6. I thought you said the owner will be doing it.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

8. DRP Mowing

DRP Mowing Junior Member

the present owner is doing it as of now. The people in the park are buying out the owner and wont close till around middle of the summer. after all the legal stuff. I wont have a REAL job to fall back on. I am going full time with my LCO this spring.Yes i will check to see if it will be a contracters agreement or i will be an employee of the park.

9. DRP Mowing

DRP Mowing Junior Member

I checked with the person and i would not be an employee of the park. They would be hiring DRP Mowing to do the work. I would just be using there truck and salter.

10. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Tell them you will do their snow for 5 years for the truck and spreader. Then go out and make some money with that thing. If you use their truck, by federal tax codes, you are an employee. Try to say whatever you want between yourselves, or to us here, but the auditor won't hear any of that and they will get bit real hard, you could too.

11. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Have it written in the contract that you lease the equipment from them for a $1.00 and that will make you a contractor.

12. bterry

bterry Senior Member

I have a similar situation with one of my guys. I am doing exactly what Bolts Industries said to do. He rents my truck, and does what ever he want's with it. I told him to get at least one other account, so that he looks more like a contractor (see the Fed's Workman's Comp. questionnaire to determine employee vs. sub). I haven't tested this with the tax man yet - hopefully I never get the opportunity.