1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Lights and Brake controler not working

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tpost, Feb 5, 2009.

1. tpost

tpost Junior Member

My 03 GMC 2500HD trailer plug and break controler are not working. My break controler does not even light up when i apply the break. I replaced the hoppy plug with a new one still no go.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

pull the 7way plug apart and see if its all corroded . is this the hoppy plug you mentioned?

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

controller

just the brake function? do lights on the plug work ?check all trailer fuse's under the hood ,check the power wire for the brake control ,see if it is broken ,disconnected ,circuit breaker or fuse ,tripped,or blown .

4. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Possibly a problem with your brake light switch on the brake pedal. If that doesn't work, you don't get brake lights or a functioning brake controller.

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

If its an add on I'll bet that you fuseable link has gone bad

6. tpost

tpost Junior Member

I've replaced the entire plug.

7. tpost

tpost Junior Member

It is not an add on came from factory. I guess i am just not sure where the fuse for the trailer lights or brake controler are. The inside fuse box is labeled 10amp trlr i've checked the four of those and they are good.

8. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

under hood fuse is blown?

welcome to Plowsite!

the place of many inteligent answers...the questions are a different story though...LOL j/k

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  9. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Fuses under hood on drivers side should have several for trailer the trailer brakes are the big front one, I believe, I installed trailer brake controller to that one in my truck not sure about factory think it's same not sure

10. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

it should be a pal fuse under the hood

11. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

is the brake controll mounted on the dash? or is it in a panel in the dash/recessed?
    did your 7way plug bolt to the truck or in a bracket welded to the hitch?

12. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

ditto I have installed/fixed over 200 of these in the past 2 yrs (I deliver new boat trailers from the factory for a friend that owns the factory) and the brake light switch power feed comming into the controller was ALWAYS the problem with the symtoms you describe. Only 1 time was it ever the controler itself and that :angry:OF COURSE was on my truck not a customers!!!!!

13. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Trailer lights don't work either?

14. SNOWPIMP

SNOWPIMP Member

trailer AND truck brake lights. That would be my guess sometimes you just don't notice the "small" stuff like that unless you know what to look for!

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fuse problem for sure. Power disturbution box under the hood on the drivers side.

16. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

If the truck brake lights don't don't work also I'd be checking the fuse for that.

17. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

Look and see if your CHMSL (center high mounted stop lamp) comes on when you hit the brakes.
    That fuse is the one that feeds the brake control when you hit the brakes. If its that, the fuse its under the hood or on the drivers side of the dash (open door and look at the side, NOT UNDER the dash.

You didn't say what kind of control you have, you may need to relevel it.