1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Hitch Laws

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jb1390, Nov 14, 2010.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I am setting up a dump body on my neighbors 2006 GMC 2500HD. I did something similar on my truck, and on my previous truck. On the last two setups, I took the bumper off completely. I rewelded the bumper onto the lift mechanism on the first setup (probably what I would do on the 06), on my truck it is a flatbed with a different bumper.

However, I took the bed off, and noticed that the trailer hitch is very thin-much of the strength of it is the bumper itself. if I took the bumper off, it would bend real easy. My question is-what are the laws (if any-I am in CT for reference) on modifying a trailer hitch? If I disconnected it from the bumper, and reinforced it again with 3" channel, it would be stronger than it was. However, it would also me modified. I could buy a reese hitch that does not integrate with the bumper for $250, but that is money that i would otherwise not have to spend, with a little fabrication.

Are there any laws against modifying the hitch/bumper? it will still have a bumper, just not connected how it came stock.
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can do it, you will just assume the liability.
  3. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I found a class V hitch that does not integrate with the bumper. I bought it, and will install that instead. If it was my truck, I probably would modify it. But since it isn't, and this guy tows a lot, I decided it is not worth the risk or hassle if something happens, even if it doesn't cause an accident.