1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Hitch - HELP!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by markq, Dec 27, 2005.

1. markq

markq Member

I have an '04 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext Cab SB, 6.0L. What class trailer hitch comes stock on these trucks, and what class is optional? ow do I find out what class hitch I have - I need to know what class hitch is on my truck.

Thanks!!!

2. It's probably a Class III, 5000 lb towed weight, 500 lb tongue weight. If your truck is an '04, you should probably still be able to see the label on the side of the hitch.

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

There is only one available....no options for a higher rated unit from the factory.

Weight Carrying 7500lb with a 1000lb tounge weight

Weight Distributing 12,000lb with a 1500lb tounge weight.

4. JCStrasser

JCStrasser Member

And if you need to name the hitch on your truck, here is something that I copied from the RV.Net forum

Class I 200/2000

Class II 350/3500 WC, no WD rating

Class III 500/5000 WC, 700/7000 WD

Class IV 750/7500 WC, 1200/12,000 WD

Class V 1200/12,000 WC, 1400/14,000 WD

So you can see that the receiver hitches on our trucks don't fit exactly in any of the above "Classes", but I would say it is a Class IV.

John

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Anyone ever bend a GM factory hitch on the newer trucks?? I hear over on dieselplace.com about people bending them and what crap they are. I have an adjustable 3-ball mount that sticks off the back of the truck pretty far and have pulled over 10k non-weight distributing several times. Maybe I got a good one!? :dizzy:

6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I've pulled my 14ft open trailer, 20ft enclosed trailer and a 14ft dump trailer with 6 yards of topsoil in the trailer and it was fine.

I think if anything the tourqe from the diesel + all the weight in the trailer would make it bend, but honestly, they shouldnt bend, but if they did, it seems the tourqe + weight would do the trick

7. PlowingHD

PlowingHD Junior Member

that's nothing....

Ive got a 2004 2500 HD Ext cab 6.0L 4x4. I also own a 22ft Corn Pro tounge pull tandem axle trailer, rated at 14,000 lbs. Ive had 15,800 behind the truck, with factory hitch, no problems. Had a John Deere B and a 630 wide front, both on same time, of course I didn't go very far:)