1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer DMV question

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by jb1390, Nov 2, 2010.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I bought a trailer from my neighbor. (I live in CT). he bought it from a guy in MA, and when he bought it, he signed the back of the title. He never registered it, so never got an official title in his name. Currently, the title has the name of the original owner in MA.

To register it, because the title is already signed, I need supplemental assignment of ownership forms. My question is: the original bill of sales show that the trailer went from the guy in MA to my neighbor, then to me. I am getting the guy in MA to sign the form from the DMV. As far as the DMV is concerned, do they need to even know that the transaction went through my neighbor? Can I just show the guy in MA as the seller, and me as the buyer?

I am concerned that the titling department will have a difficult time dealing with two forms, and figuring out who owns the trailer in the end.

I think I just need the one form, and the DMV doesn't care that it went through my neighbor first. Thoughts?
  2. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Here in WI, you would need you neighbor to register it, pay the tax and title fee. Then he would sign it over to you, and you would do the same. They wanna make sure they get there money.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know the laws, but if your asking if you can just show your bought it from the orginal owner, than the answer is yes. It will not be the legal way to do it, but yes it can be done that way.
  4. marinablue66

marinablue66 Junior Member
    from CT

I have had the same problem, and as far as the dmv is concerend it the really dont care wether or not your neighbor rgistered the trailer. They may have him sign a ownership affidavid which is a form stating that he owned the trailer and its not stolen. As far as having the guy from MA just sign the bill of sale to you that should be fine as long as the DMV doesnt look at the title to closely and then they will ask why there is another name on the back of the title. The other thing to keep in mind is that if the GVWR is over 3000#'s you will need to have the VIN verified with the dmv meaning the trailer will have to be more or less inspected in wethersfield. See: "http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&Q=245094&dmvPNavCtr=|27883|#27884".
    Any other ?'s PM me
  5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

So I got the trailer registered-given that my neighbor already had his name on the title, I needed another form from the DMV. Basically just a bill of sale, but on their paper. i got in touch with the original owner, and he signed the paper for me. I did have to get a VIN check done-I did that at Norwich. The lady that did the check really liked my dremel-made VIN plate. :) The real plate is there just not fully legible.