1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer brake problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by QuadRacer041, Jul 24, 2012.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

I have an 09 3500 mason dump. this morning I got a message on my dash saying service trailer brake system. Any idea where to start? I have a digital code reader and it says no codes found. I pull my landscape trailer with this truck everyday, this morning is the first time I've seen this message.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check the plug on the back. Could be corrosion in between the harness plug and the truck side trailer plug.

3. QuadRacer041

I will check that out.

4. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Corrosion. I get it all the time. I cut my 7 pin adapter off when i installed road armor rear bumper and I get the same code. It seems to be when corrosion gets to the ground wires.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Do the brakes still work when this code comes up?

6. QuadRacer041

Dont see any corrosion on the plug, i usually put on some die electric grease every so often. Where afe those ground wires your talking about? Lights work but no brakes. When i use the plus and minus buttons or the slider on the controller i dont feel the brakes working.

7. SullivanSeptic

My corrosion was in the inside of plug where can't see it. I had to split open plug before I found it. Your best bet is to get a buddy with a truck and hook your trailer to his and see if brakes work. Then try hooking your truck to another trailer. Because it could be the trailer wiring. But most like its your 7 pin. The ground wire I'm talking about is actually on the 7 pin. Again, you might need to split it open to see.

8. QuadRacer041

I unplugged the hareness from the back on the 7 pin that is mounted to the back of the truck bumper and the code still shows up. Wouldnt that eliminate the 7 pin plug as the problem?

9. SullivanSeptic

Is the code still happening when not hooked to trailer? Or only when plugged in?

10. QuadRacer041

Yes still happens even when not hooked up, I actually tried the truck connected to a different trailer and same issue. As i said even with the factory harness not plugged into the 7 pin plug the message is still there. Under the hood i did find a blown fuse, 15a the schematic shows that as being "seo b1" didn't fix the problem though, what is that for?

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Any associated fuses with the built in brake controller that could be blown?

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This is an internal issue with in the truck. search down the frame ground and clean/tighten it if you have already cleaned the corrosion out of both of the rear trailer plugs.

Have you tried a load tester (teckonsha test box or equivalent) to see if the brake control is functioning?

13. QuadRacer041

Are there any fuses that could be blown? Where are they located?
    How do I load test to see if it is working? Any idea where the ground is?

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The controller needs to read a magnet to operate. either a teckonsha test box or a plug with a magnet wired to the brake (blue) and Ground (white) and sitting on a metal grounded surface of the truck.

one heavy ground is normally screwed into the rear frame crossmember or passenger side frame rail.

This could also be a corroded/bare spot/pinch in the brake feed (blue) wire.

Have you added any additional wiring, spliced into the ground or blue wire for reason or added a in bed plug for a 5th wheel or Gooseneck?

15. QuadRacer041

Ok, I will check the ground and blue wire tomorrow.
    No I have not tapped into either the ground or the blue wire for anything. Everything was working fine on Friday, Monday I got in the truck to go to work and thats when the problem started.

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a seperate ground on your trailer or does it ground through the hitch. Mine just through the same code on Sunday and it was the grounding through the hitch working and not working. When the truck was pulling the trailer I had no ground but when I slowed down and the trailer started pushing the truck everything worked fine.

17. QuadRacer041

I still get the code even when the trailer is disconnected.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Use your trailer has a test box. First using another truck assure the trailer is correct. Then see if your brake control will activate the trailer brakes using the manual (turn them up all the way, it makes it easier to tell) activation. if they work try a rolling test (again Full power from the BC) does it activate with the pedal. This will tell you is the controller is operating. If the controller is not operating you need to take it to a Ford dealer or replace with an aftermarket :)nod::nod::nod:)

19. QuadRacer041

The truck is a chevy, why take it to ford? As i stated earler i tried connecting to another trailer with the same results. Also the code appears even if no trailer is connected. Also as stated earlier raise or lowering the gain as well as sliding the manual slider over has no affect.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sorry Ford has the same issue, same solutions. Have you checked to see if you have the gooseneck harness behind the cab? Could be an issue there (rubbed wire, etc.)

If the controller is getting power, but not producing it I would guess it is a controller issue. Chevy controllers are VERY sensitive and will tolerate NO additions. Many Chevy dealerships know little about them and tend to use replacement as the first option although sometimes they (the Truck)forget they have a brake controller and you have to flash the computer.