1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

trailer brake hookup

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FFD133, Jun 25, 2006.

1. FFD133

FFD133 Senior Member

I just bought a 2003 Ford F250 Crew Cab Powerstroke Deisel 7.3, and have a question about hooking up a Voyager Trailer brake control inside the cab. On my last truck (02 GMC Sierra) when the trailer was connected to the vehicle, the light on the trailer brake was lit up. On the Ford, it is not. I went to the Voyager website and made sure it was wired correctly and according to them, I hooked it up correctly. Anyone else have a voyager brake controller and an 03 Ford that could help, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Scott

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ford tow packs don't have power with the key off, and the wire colors don't match the controller. If that isn't the problem, check that the factory fuses and relays for the tow pack are in place. The relays for the towing system have their own little box on the drivers side under the hood, the factory wraps a piece of black electric tape around it, it's only big enough for the 2 relays. Test the unit for incoming 12 volt. you can test for incoming power at the unit by sticking a test light in the black wire coming out of the controller. To test for continuity test the blue wire at the controller. if it lights the green LED when the trailer doesn't then the wiring to the rear plug is faulty.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If it is not lit up something is not wired right, Incidently if you wire one wrong you can blow it pretty easy. Check the fuses and the power coming from the truck and the brake pedal. Make sure the ground is good.

4. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

The best way to go is to buy the harness that plugs in under the dash and wire to instructions. Buy after market Ford price is out of cintrol like 3 times after market