1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Brake Controller

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jklawn&Plow, Dec 22, 2011.

1. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Help, I finally started looking at the Trailer Brake controller since I was getting Error Message on DIC. I thought if I popped out the fuse and plugged it back in the problem would be gone. This evidently cleared the code 'cause it sent my battery south and then had no juice to start. So I took out the fuse 15A #7 gas engine and recharged battery, sat overnight seems fine. Any one figure out where the short is? Found a bunch of TSB's and and sugestions (wire near emerg brake pedal). Problem started out 2 winters ago with "Trailer Brake..." message, noticed plug was full of ice. Problem went away. Reappeared next winter and then turned to "Service Trailer Brake System". Has been this way continuously for last 9 months.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you take the connector apart in the back to see what it looks like? The 7pin might look ok, but what does tje connector look behind that? Does the truck have that light box connector in the rear still?
  3. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Battery was evidently drained due to ignition switch being on to long, not brake controller. I'm thinking if I get the code cleared it might work. I took the back connector apart and cleaned it out. Because of its location all the debris that falls between the tailgate and bed finds its way into open sections of the connector behind rear bumber. I put some HD tape over it to keep the grass and muck out. Should have been designed witha better shielding ssystem. If the code clear doesn't fix it I guess I'll be digging deeper. That last 2 winters during daytime thaws both my chevy NNBS plugs filled up with solid ice (where the trailer plugs in) as the temp dropped. This is when I would start getting idiot messages on the DIC.