1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trailblazer alignment

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by OneBadDodge06, Apr 22, 2008.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

So the driver side outer tie rod has gone to hell where it bolts to the wheel so its gotta be replaced. I got the parts and all that to do it but the question remains...

How exactly to I set the alignment without taking it to a shop? Doin it for a friend of mine and she doesn't have the big bucks to have a shop do it. So how do I make sure that the two front wheels are parallel to eachother? :dizzy:
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Measure the old one before you take it out of the adjusting sleeve. This is how ive been told its done.
  3. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

You mean measure the amount of threads sticking out of the old one?
  4. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

when you unscrew the t-rod just count how many times the tie rod turns till its out. then go get it professionally aligned front end alignments are only 46.96 at our dealer ship and its a hell of alot cheeper then a set of tires
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You can get it close by carefully counting the threads that show from the tie rod to the adjuster sleeve. But, it will not be right on. You can chew a set of tires up in 50 miles when the alignment is off real bad. Plus some vehicle are real hinky when the alignment is off and there's no slop in the steering from worn parts.
  6. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I got the new outer tie rod on no problem.

I did count the number of turns it took to get the old one out and after I put the new one in the alignment was off an inch, pulled hard to the left. After some trial and error I got it within a 1/16th. Been keepin an eye on her tires and no signs of premature wear so I'm guessing everything is good!!