1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Traded my Chevy 2500HD - now what?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by charlg, Jun 28, 2011.

1. charlg

charlg Member

I just traded my 2007 Chevy 2500HD. I kept all of the plow set up - the same year MM2 8' HD plow. . The new truck is a 2010 1500 with a 5.3L.

Here are some questions:

Should I sell the complete 8' setup as a package or try to use some of the existing electronics for the 1500?

Would it be better to find a small plow to put on my other vehicle - a 4 door Jeep and not use the 1500 to plow?

I do about 25 driveways and do a lot of backdragging.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Start by changing your Signature it still lists the 2500.

Then buy a plow for the jeep. for driveways you cant beet it.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

What cab configuration is your 2011 1500?

4. charlg

charlg Member

It is a new 2010 extended cab, 6.5' bed, 5.3L.

5. mercer_me

I think you should put a 7.5' Fisher on your 2010 1500.

6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

if your only doing driveways the jeep is the way to go

7. charlg

charlg Member

Which model, there are three?

8. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Charlie,
    If your truck is brand new and under warranty be careful if you put a plow on under the warranty it could void it I have seen people put plows on trucks without the plow prep package and then have problems getting warranty work covered.

9. bradlewislawnca

bradlewislawnca Member

HEy im only in albany and I went from 2004 1500 to 2011 2500. And I had an older minute mount that worked well for me. We could trade. I have the push plates for the 04 1500, I am not sure if they are any good.

10. bradlewislawnca

bradlewislawnca Member

7.5 fisher that is

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

6 inches of plow and 50 or so lbs isn't gonna make or break the truck IMO

12. charlg

charlg Member

I am open to a trade, but it would have to be a newer 7.5. My 8' HD is an '07 with a backdrag blade.

13. mercer_me

The HD or the SD depending on how many driveways you are doing. Stay away from the HT, I have heard alot of bad things about them.

14. charlg

charlg Member

Thanks for the heads up. That is exactly what the local dealer was trying to sell me.

I do about 20 driveways.

15. bradlewislawnca

bradlewislawnca Member

i have 2 7.5 mm. 1 is 2010 mm2 and the other is reg mm and i am not sure the year. But basically i have one that is newer and one older, but two 2500 to cart them are around with so an 8 footer could help out a lot. (or hurt production on some small driveways). I have not put too much thought into it, but I feel I would need to price '07 8 footers and '10 7.5 to see if they compare. I would assume the new one is really close to new value around 3k i think plow side only. Maybe other people on here can chime in and see there opinions. My '10 is an HD not ht or sd

16. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I feel like 2Cor anyway, what bad things have you heard?

17. mercer_me

The most comon problem I have heard of is the jacks are junk. I have also heard from a dealer that they have problems with welds breaking.

18. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

The jacks are not the best, I never broke a weld in my 2 years and I tripped that thing quite a bit.

19. charlg

charlg Member

The old plow did not last 2 days on CL.

It seems my 2 choices are a new SD, or a used RD.

Any recommendations for a plow dealer in the Boston area?

20. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I'm agreeing with plowmeister: put a plow on the Jeep and save yourself a ton of time. The Jeep will be soooo much better for driveways. No need to over-truck yourself for the job. I plowed with 3/4ton and bigger trucks for 9 years before trying a Jeep (and this is on streets/courts/lots) and I don't plan on going back. Good luck either way, but trust those that have used both. The Jeep makes a SUPERIOR small area/driveway truck.