1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trade western a-frames?

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Shadowman_14, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Shadowman_14

Shadowman_14 Junior Member
    from SE MN

I am in need of a short western a-frame for a conventional mount. I have a long a-frame conventional mount to trade. I was thinking about modifying the a-frame but decided to give this site a try first. I am located in Se Mn. but may be willing to pay for shipping or i know truck drivers that travel almost everywhere. I found a new one on ebay but that was 200+ dollars

Thanks
    Jeff

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. Shadowman_14

from SE MN

anybody? ebay is to expensive!

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

you may have a problem swapping A frames. i picked up an old (1970's, maybe early 80's) western 8 foot blade with the long A frame. i was going to take the short A frame off my 7.5 foot plow (late 80s/early 90s vintage) and put it on the 8 foot blade i just picked up.

unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as i thought it would be. the 3 vertical ribs on the backside of the plow blade that the A frame bolts to had different spacing between the 2 blades. i was able to make it work after some cutting and welding, but be aware you may have this issue.

so get the spacing measurements of the 3 center vertical ribs before getting a new A frame and see if they match the measurements on your blade. they might, but they didn't in my case.

4. Shadowman_14

from SE MN

that should only make a difference on the quadrant i would think because thats what actually mounts to the plow itself correct? the a-frame is only attached by the front center pivot bolt and the angling cylinders i believe.

Would it be easier to shorten the frame and make the mount tabs closer together? I am made my own mount so
    i can modify it easily.