1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trade up from an 8' to a 9'?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by wildbl1500, Dec 20, 2010.

1. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

So,

I don't have all the details yet, but I have been asked if I would be interested in trading my 8' HD MM2 for a 9' straight up. The guy with the 9' is my boss' father-in law and it won't fit in his garage. I have cut back a bit on jobs this winter and really don't need a 9'. I only do small residential drives.

Any of you that have gone from an 8' to a 9'- is it a pain on small driveways? Do you really notice a difference?

I had a 7 1/2' before and an 8' was a good change.

I should know more in the morning and be able to go see the plow this week.

2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I have both. You will notice a big difference doing small driveways with the nine foot plow. It will add more time to your route if you use the bigger plow. Now for bigger drives and parking lots you will love the nine footer. Either one will work though.

3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I would stick with the 8 footer in you only do driveways.If you were doing parking lots I would go with a 9 footer.I also recommend a backdrag.I put one on my plow last year and it was the best thing I did.Just pull up to the garage drop the plow,back up and you leave nothing behind.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

like said 9 takes more time in the end for small drives.

and i have both my self 8ft and 9ft . so i can pic and run exactly what size i need.

5. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I would stick with the 8 for now

6. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I have both and for what you do I would stick with the 8'.

7. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Trade up, i love my 9ft for dways. Less sweeps.

8. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

Yeah, I decided not to go with the 9'. The drives I do probably wouldn't be an issue but why put more wear on the truck and make fitting into a parking space at work even harder?

I put my 8' on tonight to get ready for the "blizzard". We'll see.

9. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

On narrower roads a 9' can be a challange when meeting other vehicles even when the plow is angled. Parking isn't really a concern unless the spaces are real tight.