1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Trade in value on a plow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KingDuramax, Feb 8, 2011.

1. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I am looking to upgrade my plow it is 6 years old now and showing some wear. It is a 8ft Western Pro plow ultramount. What do you think is a fair trade in value on it?

2. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

$1500 tops. probably $1000

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

X2.............

4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

no dealer is going to buy a used blade???what would they do with a 6 year old beat up plow

sell it on the internet

5. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

That's not true. One dealer I deal with has quite a few used plows for sale at any given time. Even so I doubt he gives more than $500-800 to the people he gets them from.

I do agree though you are better selling it on the internet. Should be able to get $1500-2000 depending on condition. But you'll have to wait till next fall to sell it if you want to get top dollar.

6. KingDuramax

My local Fisher dealer has valued it at $1200 so i guess I'm doing pretty good. I think I will try for 1500 out of it. Just to see if he will go higher. Worst he can say is no. Thanks for the input.

7. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I know my dealer will sell it on consignment for me give that a shot.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

We deal in both new and used plows. There's more of a market for used plows than new where we're at. Trades are always welcome. More $$ to be made on a used sale and install than a new one, and that's the truth. We go through them and warranty used stuff as well.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We take trade ins all the time. Value depends on age and condition.

10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Sell in in the fall on craigslist. I sold a 7 year old 7.5 poly meyer plow for $2800 this fall and an 8 year old 8.5 meyer poly plow for $3200. I know these plows are not worth this much, but if you sell it at the right time(right before the season starts to some new guy who thinks he is getting a good deal on a used plow for half the price of a new one), and when you talk to them tell them some other people are interested in the setup to create a buzz and a sense of urgency to make a decision. Or piece the plow out and you will make more then would for the full setup. Good Luck.

11. LB1234

LB1234 Member

just sold my 7.5' western ultramount this dec..just plow side no wiring on the truck side for 1200. it was ten years old. If you sell with the wiring I believe you could get 2000 easy. I wouldn't go lower than that. but again, probablly not going to get the same amount now/this spring as you will late next fall early winter when people are looking to add to their fleet or replace broken ones.

good luck.

12. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

When I went to trade in my 2002 truck/plow in 2009, they were going to give me $ 1000 for the Fisher Ez-V, it was in good shape & I had 3 other trucks with them so I kept it as a spare. New truck got a XV

13. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

cool didnt know that. Up my way, dealer dont sell used unless its "demo".
    I went around yesterday shopping for a new v blade, for fun I asked how much for a trade in. They say a trade in?? People get rid of used plows because they are used and abused. Scrap metal value of 100$ so Ill give you that off a new plow!

14. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Local dealer takes them off and pays you. Their labor is worth something. They paint them up and re-sell for $2000-2500. If you are capable of removing the plow and all of the wiring perfectly you could get the $1500-2000.........maybe

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sometimes that is true, but to consider every used plow scrap metal is IMO a poor business attitude. I can find a home for about every type and condition plow but the price has to reflex the condition.

16. KingDuramax

I feel since they offered me $1200 and they remove it and install the new one. That by the time you add in tax on that they are essentially giveing me the $1500 for it. So it is worth it to me to trade it. I could pull it off and try to sell it for a couple hundred more but if i trade its done and over with and dont have to hassle with it at all.