1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractors vs Pick up trucks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by homeworks, Aug 16, 2011.

1. homeworks

homeworks Junior Member

Starting to acquire larger and closer together properties for snow removal.
    I was trying to figure out roughly how much faster are tractors than pick ups. Of coarse the dealer tells me its twice as fast, but i'd like to know from the guys who are actually out there at 3am in the morning, and not some white collared guy whos never plowed in his life.

i run F250 with v plows (8.5 ft.) and am looking at getting a 100hp kubota tractor with a 10 foot blade that rotates to become a 14 straight blade when needed.

Also, any drawbacks you are aware of would be a great asset too.
    With the rotating wings, i think it should be able to back drag quite well?

thank you!

2. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

my buddy use his old ass farm tractor for a stretch of residential along his road. Its an Allis Chamers (spl)? and hes got a blower on the back, PTO driven. This thing is like 12 wide and 3-4 feet tall. It makes quick work of any storm around here. He also has the added convenience of blowing the snow rather than pushing it, building piles and possibly tearing up the ground. That thing blows snow 5 feet to 50 feet or more if he really cranks it out. Perahps getting something with a pto will give you an option for a blower and keep an option for a blade.

3. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

We use some pretty big equipment Like pay loaders to skid steers. The reason we use them is because of the capacity (of snow) they can push and Contain at one time!

Now Residentials There really isnt a specific place that snow NEEDS to be put!! But in a Commercial lot we need to have snow in a specific section of the property. And With a Truck its Really hard to do that! opposed to a Loader. A loader is Faster!

Honestly no one will be able to tell you how much faster it will be for you, because it all depends on your experience and Setup on the loader. a Kage innovation is Really nice and really speeds my crew up!

Also with a Loader you will make money in between storms moving piles back.. I dare you to try doing This with your plow! Half way through the season we Make BIGGGGG money moving piles back at small trailer parks, And even some work from fellow plowers.

We service 5 Subdivisions within a 2 mile radius And A couple other lots in the area so we just leave our loaders in a lot then use then use them to do all the lots.

If you want You can Rent a Machine at CAT and try it out. All the money you spend renting, goes towards a purchase of a Cat machine....Thats what we did!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

An AG type tractor does ok but only using a 10ft push box I dont think is going to be "twice as fast" as a truck with a V blade. A loader, pay loader, wheel loader or a articulating loader, what ever you want to call them is going to be the best as far as moving the most snow. We do a big box store and since buying a front loader it took the place of 3-4 trucks.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's a 10 ft Snowing type blade so unless you've used one how do you really know?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So you are saying they are 3 to 4 times as fast as a truck??

7. Plow man Foster

It depends on the application! you can push more snow with a loader.

Correct a loader is the Best option. But a Vee is still WAYYY Faster than any Straight blade! We're talkin' 2 way different cups of soup here.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Brian a 100hp tractor with a 10 foot snow wing, will give you at least twice, if not three times the speed of a pickup, in most circumstances. A 10 foot snow wing can open up to a 16 foot straight blade.
    Now a Boss extreme V is 9 feet 2 inches as a straight blade, and in the v scoop position its 8 feet 8 inches. Just that comparison tells volumes. As far as loaders are concerned hands down they will replace 3-4 pickups. :drinkup:

HLA%20SnowWing%204000W%20440%20x%20400.jpg

SB_angleBlade.jpg

SB_straightBlade.jpg

SB_revBoxBlade.jpg

SB_boxBlade.jpg

9. Plow man Foster

1. Sorry i mis-typed. On resis snow gets put mostly in the most accesable part of the driveway for a truck In michigan that is USUALLY at the top of the driveway.

2. Good Point.

3. No i have never blown back piles before but i guess you would Really have to do that RIGHT after the storm. Because last year the problem we ran into was by the time we NEEDED to push back piles, they were already frozen to rock! Also my Customers (well most of them) Didnt want me to take care of this "problem" until it was necessary. They only think about whats happening right now and whats going to happen 5 min. from now. Instead of Down the road.

So we were pretty busy the night before a 7" storm Moving piles back/ away.

10. homeworks

homeworks Junior Member

Thank You

Hey guys,
    i appreciate the discussion!
    I have looked at several responses here as well as other threads and have followed up with my dealer, it seems most of you agree that a loader is faster than a tractor.
    This surprised me cause the tractor blade i plan on purchasing can go up to 14 ft wide, when most loader scoops are only 8 feet wide???

I can also get a loader option on the tractor at some extra cost, so in case of heavy snow falls i can make some more money as the gentleman from Montreal mentioned, but here in Toronto, we dont usually get that much snow.

11. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Most loader scoops are 8ft wide????????? Im not sure about this.

12. FarNorth

FarNorth Junior Member

Photo shows my JD 7400 tractor (100 hp) with a 13' wide snow bucket I made in my shop. It pushes a lot of snow and piles it high. I wouldn't be without it.

[​IMG]

13. homeworks

homeworks Junior Member

nice wheels

14. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Give me a 60,000# wheel loader and I will put one of my homemade 20ft boxes on it and I will get more snow from point A to point B in less time than an army of pickups. This is especially true when you get ten inches of snow or more.

15. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I have 2 pickups with 9.5 v blades and 3 ag tractors with snowwings, a 9-14 on the loader mount and a 10-16 and a 12-18 on frame mounts.

The tractors are 3-4 times more efficent then the pickups, for commercial lots. They also have a higher travel speed then loaders getting from site to site plus each of the tractors has a whole back end to attach equipment 1 has an 8' blower, and the other 2 have salt spreaders. So each of them can do more then 1 job.

Loaders are great when equipped with a blade or a pusher, but lack the versatility of the tractor.

Another BIG difference is financing, I can lease a 120HP tractor with all the bells and whistles, mine 120's have suspended cabs and front axles, power heated mirrors, auto shift etc with a plow, cheaper and easier then I can lease a 250 Diesel pickup.
    Deere and Case both have Ag and Construction divisions and there is a big difference in the way they finance equipment purchases.
    In Canada, an Ag tractor over 60HP isn't subject to sales tax for example.

For me Ag tractors are the way to go.

Bill

snow plows 003.jpg

snow plows 005.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  16. nsmilligan

Buckets are the most inefficent way to move snow, plus they don't have any type of trip protection if you hit an obstruction, like a raised drain cover.:mechanic:

Bill

17. nsmilligan

My tractors can out perform a loader with the same size blade, they have a higher travel speed, and are faster in open lots, both in reverse and forward, I can select different forward and reverse speeds when using the shuttle shift (ie I may want to start out in 6th going forward, but 8th when going in reverse) and auto shift in selected ranges while plowing. Also my tractor can plow and salt the lot in 1 operation, haven't seen a loader with a salt spreader!

Bill

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have a customer that has fallen in love with AG tractors, they say Bucket, Blade, Pusher or Snowblower they are the Bomb. Great visablity, tight turning radius, they carry a snowblower which doubles as ballast.

19. nsmilligan

A 2600 # blower or salt spreader with 2200#'s of salt in it hanging off the back really helps traction! :drinkup:

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

What type of spreaders do you have? A guy tried that down here and gave up cause they didn't work worth a crap... Now they're oversize ballast...