1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor with plow/blower setup

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by 06radoCT, Dec 11, 2014.

1. 06radoCT

06radoCT Junior Member
    from CT

I tried searching for the answer but didnt have much luck finding it the closest answer i got was from a backhoe thread talking about the hoe making the machine unbalanced. And the machine bouncing back and forth from the rear tires to the front tires. But that some machines have ride control which release some of the pressure in the valves to lessen the effect.

My question is anyone with a AG tractor with a plow and blower setup get that same effect? If so how did you lessen or eliminate the problem.

If i am driving down the road and hit a pot hole or bump in the road the tractor will bounce back and forth from the front to the rear tires and get progressively worst if i stay on the gas. But if i hit a bump/pothole and let off the gas and slowly get on the brakes to slow it down to about 5 mph to let the tractor settle. Then i have to do that everytime i come across a bump/pothole. Is there a way to eliminate that issuse other than the obvious (dont hit bumps/potholes).

Some info on the tractor: The plow is frame mounted and the snow blower is almost the same weight as the plow, the rear tires are filled to the top of the rim with beet juice. Tires are AG tires.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, put a suspension on it. Other than that, your living with the bucking bronco.
    Fyi wheel loaders have this problem to, but the new ones have ride control that works the loader hydraulics.

3. 06radoCT

06radoCT Junior Member
    from CT

Would swapping out the AG tires for radial tires help this issuse?

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I wonder if the loaded tires are creating the problem.

Too much weight in the rear?

5. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Some machines have a transmission dump button that sends all the hydraulic fluid through the primary pump (if you don't have ride control), giving a smoother ride.

As Mark stated, maybe improper fluid filling (tires) is throwing it off balance. It should not be more than 75% of volume.

And as 06 said, road tires will give a smoother ride, but not the traction that AG tires offer.

I would first check for RC or TD, and if it still bounces, try draining all the fluid (or draining some) and see if it rides smoother.

That's all I got.

6. 06radoCT

06radoCT Junior Member
    from CT

Its possible i was thinking about letting the beet juice out towards the end of the season to see how it drove with the tires unloaded. Ive driven the tractor down the road before with the tires unloaded with just the FEL on and have hit bumps/potholes and i could just let off the gas a little and it would settle right back down.

Just wanted to get some feed back from people on here as they are more experienced this is my 1st year with this setup.

Ive seen a video that someone posted on youtube driving down the road from a stop light to full speed. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf1x8kpfrF4) If you watch the first 25 seconds the guy is just getting tossed around in the seat from hitting bumps/potholes and not the tractor bouncing front to back. Im not expecting a ride like a cadillac but the bucking bronco like dieselss said is terrible.

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

The loaded tires really do not make much of a difference. Drive a tractor full spead and hit a bump, and you will be bouncing like crazy.
    Something that can help is attach a nitrogen accumulator to the three point lift arms of the tractor. It is also something you can attach to the lift arm of the plow. The drive will be smoother, but once again hit a bump at full speed and be prepared to bounced around.

8. 06radoCT

06radoCT Junior Member
    from CT

The HLA plow has a accumulator built in dont know if its nitrogen or not, i dont mind being bounce around in the seat. Its when the whole tractor bounces from the rear tires to the front tires and keeps rocking the whole tractor back and forth. To the point where it feels like the tractor is going to tip to the front and the plow will be on the ground even though its up. Ive been keeping the plow about 18 inches off the ground just incase it does happen. I dont know how else to explain it i guess i'll have to try to get some video of it some how.

The plow weighs just under 2200 Lbs the snow blower is 1984 Lbs but i thought because the plow hangs farther out than the blower, that is why i filled the rear tires.

Neige you run tractors with the nokian tires do they help at all with the road manners of the tractor vs. the AG tires or no?

9. adino1954

adino1954 Junior Member
    from ct

What size tractor? tire psi?

10. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

We run a kubota m135, no ride control, with a 10-17 blade on the loader and double auger on the back, rear tires are filled. If I hit a pot hole wide open it will bounce around but not like you describe, maybe there is an underlying problem with the tractor/ setup

11. 06radoCT

06radoCT Junior Member
    from CT

@ adino engine hp is 97 not sure of the tire pressure i'll check tomorrow. To give you an idea of the size of it i attached a picture, the dump is a F550 to give you a size reference. In this pic just had the plow on not the blower and rear tires weren't filled. Back end was really light.

IMG_6517.jpg

12. 06radoCT

06radoCT Junior Member
    from CT

Front tire pressure is 26 Psi, max Psi is 28
    Rear tire pressure is 15 Psi, max Psi is 16

Dont think dropping the tire pressure will help me at best the results will be negligible at best. But i'll try lowering the pressure down some and do a test run tomorrow. What would you suggest as lowest Psi pressures i should try?

13. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

That's an LS tractor. We have a dealer here that sells that same model with loader for around $325 CDN a month.

14. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

I have ride control on my new Kubota and it makes a HUGE difference in ride quality!!!!
    The other thing that you can carefully do is then it starts rocking to slowly lower the plow on the front to take the bounce out of it...just be careful not to touch the plow to pavement at road speed!!! It really doesn't take much to offset the rocking

15. adino1954

adino1954 Junior Member
    from ct

nice package, was that pic at the Durham fair? tire psi seems ok to me

I think its just a lot of weight hanging on the front at travel speed= bounce

16. 06radoCT

06radoCT Junior Member
    from CT

Yes it was, that was before I put the blower on and filled the tires. I might give you a call tomorrow at work.

17. Toxic

Toxic Junior Member

Hey ry_rock, you got a new kubota m7060 right? What does the ride control consist of? I just got my m7060 and the dealer never even mentioned anything about it. Also what are you running on it, blade, pusher, blower? Thanks

18. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Are you using 4x4 when traveling at high speed ? I know its not exactly the same but our tc45 can be a handful when traveling high speed in 4x4 after hitting bumps. If there isn't a lot of snow we use 2wd for high speed travel which is only around 16mph. in that tractor. What we can figure is the tires change shape especially the rear when it gets bouncing good and that throws off the gear ratio from front to rear so to speak. On smooth roads its never an issue but 4x4 high speed travel on rough roads just doesn't work. Never an issue in 2wd on the same roads. Call me crazy this is just something we have noticed, so maybe it will help you.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  19. 06radoCT

06radoCT Junior Member
    from CT

No its in 2wd, we havent had any snow to plow here yet i had to bring it to the site. Thats when i noticed the bucking bronco effect, i tried adjusting the height of the plow and blower to change the balance of the tractor to see if i could stop the rodeo show but no joy.

Im thinking Mark Oomkes is right with the tires being loaded is messing up the balance of the tractor. So my next question is will the tractor weigh enough if i drain the rear tires?

The tractor would weigh just under 11,500 Lbs if i drain the rear tires so would the tractor weigh enuff to push the plow, the plow is a 8-13 snow wing.

The weight of the filled tires adds 2750 Lbs so 1375 Lbs a tire, only reason i filled them was i was planning on leaving the blower off while plowing then just hook it up and blow the snow. So i wanted the weight to counter balance the plow for when the blower was off.

20. ry_rock

ry_rock Senior Member

Yes just got it and had our first 2 day event!!
    It was a Kubota option it seems to be a hydraulic flow control of some sort mounts right front corner of cab and connects to loader arm hydraulic hoses...makes a big difference!!
    We are running a 9' pusher on the loader, have an 83"bucket and am running an 80" blower on the rear