1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor with Backblade only?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by osubucks, Nov 18, 2014.

1. osubucks

osubucks Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

Picked up a large open lot, needing some extra equipment. Will a farm tractor with only a 16ft ebling backblade do any good? How much production can I expect with this setup.

Also do you think I need a front wheel assist or will a 2 wheel drive do the job?

Thanks

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I run a tractor and with 10ft rear blade and some times it will spin out and then I lock it in

A 16ft rear plow You will need 4x4

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Again false, you do not NEED 4x4, it's nicer but not needed.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I would highly suggest 4wd as you'll double efficiency. There are a few guys around here that run just back blades. I personally don't as they are far less efficient but you can get a lot of work done with them.

5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

What weight 4WD would you want a 16' on Dave?

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Not directed at me, but I'd want big. I've got a 7230 IVT 4x4 that we put a 10' pusher on, and while it could handle a 12 or MAYBE a 14, I'd rather be a little easier on my machines.

7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Damn. I was thinking a small frame 6000 series (6105-6140) would be able to pull one.

8. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

I have a JD 5603 with a 16ft and it works just fine for the back blade. Front is a 8-14' metal Plessis. All depends on the snow and how long of pushs you have. It is 4wd.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It will pull one fine as it's really only an Ebling is only 8.5ft with with wings. A 10ft on 7230 is way undersized we've ran 12 ft pushers and 12-18 snowings on small frame 7000 series for over 10 years and never had any problems. On light storms they have even pushed 14's.

10. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

It really has no issues and could go bigger. Our issue is drifting, if it didn't drift like it does I'd have a 14 on it.

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You're a 21 year old snot-nose and you're going to talk to him like that?

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Hey Beanz27 that is one sweet tractor. I understand you want to take it easy on your equipment but a 10 foot pusher is way to small. That tractor can handle the 14 foot very safely, and you would increase your productivity by 40%. Just my 2 cents

13. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I know JD already answered this question, on short pulls it will work fine, on longer pulls if will just stop the tractor dead in its tracks.

14. Peak Roofing

Peak Roofing Junior Member

My 5101 pulls a 16' ebling, but once the snow gets to the front tires it will bog it down so you have to dump the load. Mine is 4x4. For productivity I wouldn't consider plowing without 4x4. If I can plownim 2 I do, but I rarely can do it.