1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor w/ plow & 3 pt spreader upgrades

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Challenger, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Challenger

Challenger Junior Member
    from PA-USA

One piece I'm using in my business is a 48HP 4x4 cab tractor currently equipped with Meyer power angle plow & HERD 3pt spreader. Doing 2 private lanes and some driveways along the lanes.

Looking to upgrade to:
    1) Larger poly 3pt PTO spreader with hydraulic chute control run off one of my rear remotes (like Befco, Vicon).
    2) Artic 96" poly plow-skid steer mount plow.

Thoughts on these choices?
  2. bluejlandscaper

bluejlandscaper Member

I have a Vicon pto driven spreader wirh the long spout for spreading bulk rock salt. I have used this spreader on parking lots for over 20 years with great results and few problems. Vicon makes a great product. The only disadvantage is loading the salt. On one job we had inside storage of the salt we had to hand load the salt with scoop shovels , took about 10 minutes to load 800 lbs, only took aout 5=7 minutes to spread on lot, on heavy ice I had to load 2 or 3 times. We only did this salting on call from the owner, although we plowe d on every snow event. On the job that I now use the spreader on we load from and outside covered storage pile with a Torro Dingo mini-skid steer, takes about 2-3 minutes to load.
  3. Challenger

Challenger Junior Member
    from PA-USA

20 years is a great service life for anything that is in contact with salt. I need to find a Vicon dealer in PA.