1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tractor vs skidsteer vs small loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FurFishGame, Nov 22, 2013.

1. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

So, I am starting a farm, and all 3 pieces of equipment would be usefull, so, as a multi purpose rig, these are what im debating between johndeere 4120 (43HP) with a front loader and a pushbox, a bobcat 773 skid with a pushbox, or a mini front end loader with a pushbox, i was thinking a new holland W50. (50 horse)

I will be hauling with a 3/4 ton truck form site to site, doing mostly small parking lots. some paved some gravel.

what are pros and cons of all 3?
  2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say really what even you could use at the farm, unless you got lots of $ then buy them all :) really it does come down to what you'll be using it for on the farm.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

not sure of all the brands you have suggested but I can shed some insite on the good and bad
    skid). most versatile of them all, numerous attachments. can do just about anything. easiest of all to tow.
    not the best at 360 visual from in the cab, not super cab friendly either. imo best choice. only drawback that can be a pain, is with the door attached, you can only get in or out with the bucket all the way dwn.
    tractor). better stacking then skid. easier driving then a skid, speed wise. better operator comfort. limited to 3 point hook ups only. im assuming its a cat 3 setup. limited to whatever the pto hp is.(cant use bigger mowers etc..) unless you have a 2-pin(universal hook up/bobcat style) your tractor is only good for the bucket up front.
    mini wheel loader). great cab visibility, great turning, great speed(assuming its a hydrostatic trans low and high shift only) prob a little better loading than a tractor but imo the best loading of them all. limited to the bucket unless its got the universal mount that the skid has and a 3rd valve. the easiest in and out of the cab by far(depending upon model, ours is a jcb and its like getting into a semi...roomy!!!)
    hope this helps
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

tractor is most versatile... 43 hp is nice size...massy has an adapter for the front loader to use bobcat style attachments...protech make a box with bobcat attach setup...can buy a snow and dirt bucket from massy..a 3pt snow blower on the back will make it an awesome snow unit...pop open with blower and tidy up with loader
    oh and make sure it has a cab with heater!