1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tractor vs skid steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MetroProperties, Oct 6, 2012.

1. MetroProperties

MetroProperties Junior Member

Our company is looking into purchasing some kind of loader for doing snow removal and all the other odds and ends. We do property management and need something for stacking snow in the winter. We may have to drive on turf and also are going to be purchasing new so if anyone has any suggestions it would be great.

2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

think we need more details.Budget?You can spend 25K on a skidsteer and tow it behind a pickup.I watched a guy move snow with a Kuboda tractor and think he would have thanked me if I came over and put him out of his misery.A 3-4 yd loader (100K+)in our area would be perfect.Do you have suitable truck trailer employee with Class a license.More info?

3. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

The all wheel steer Bobcats are about the only thing I can think of that might do it. Probably the only thing I've yet to try lol. We have an L5030 , Great for running around the turf and such in the summer and with the right tires and salter killer for sidewalks in the winter. But crap for stacking and not enough reach to load trucks for removals. Have 2 S300s Great for plowing, Stack reasonably well. Slow for loading trucks during removals if they do reach high enough and they demo turf in the summer. Also have a 524K for plow / loading / stack and it does that very very very well. But way to big for summer operations. We lease it out during the summer to a construction company. We also have a 304J and 324J (new model name for 304J) Same as the 524K just cheaper to run.

4. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

tractor

I am partial to tractors, skid steer are not that easy to run for everybody, you nead a qualified operator, if you have run one you will know how much fun it is backing up! I can operate one and they are great in the rite application, But I would go for a tractor, better visability, most people can be shown how to run a tractor, being able to see helps. Most skid steers with tracks suck in the snow, I understand Cat has track that are good in the snow, but you realy can not go of road or do hilly stuff, Chains help on tired skids, BUT, Ag tractors run much better in the snow, But you nead a bid enough tractor, Too. So if you have a cdl and rig go for a tractor, if not a skid steer behind a pickup works. I personally just drive my JD 6200 everywhere.

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

How about a backhoe? You can load a triaxle with it relatively easy and they don't completely destroy turf as long as its not too soft. The track type tractors you mentioned can go just fine off road as long as you aren't getting carried away.

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

the biggest issue I see is that if you plow with a tractor it's best to not plow with the loader arms and that being said you really can't stack and move piles. The bobcat is better for that but getting from site to site doesn't work so well unless they are close. There was a jcb load all I saw at a recent farm show. The guy said 50k it does 25km can lift something like 3200lb and extends 13 ft in the air and it's the size if not smaller then a skid steer. front hydros a steering wheel side entry and all wheel steer with a foot throttle. No turf damage just zoom the boom. Anyone can drive it. I'd just get a pusher that has built in float like the bobcat boss artic or new avalanche. Winner winner chicken dinner? I think I just convinced myself to buy one

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

If you get a decent size tractor, I would use a blower and blow the snow away. You will not need to drive on the grass, and you can stack a ton of snow with a blower. I am talking about a PTO driven blower not hydraulic.

8. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

no contest

Skid loaders can not keep up with a bachoe in the snow, you can Not push the snow back as far as with a backhoe, wheeled loader or ag tractor. Most skid steers can load triaxles, and of course a bachoe, wheeled loaders and like JD 6000 series can. If you dont fill an ag tractors rear tires with cal the they are ok on lawns vs a backhoe, just make sure you have a BIG weight block on the rear of the ag tractor when plowing.. I also have my Jd 6200 set up so I can have the plow on with out the loader or with the loader. I prefer with the loader, man can I push some serious snow like that.

9. MetroProperties

Thank you for the responses. If I was to get a skid steer it would be a bobcat s175 and if I was to get a tractor it would be a john Deere 3038E. And I will be able to tow it behind my 1 ton dump.

10. MetroProperties

Also our trucks seem to be able to do the job we just need something in those large storms as a plan B

11. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

If your choices are a s175 or a 3038 I would go with the 175... that being said if you can I would look at jumping up to a 185 or 205.. they are all great machines but the 185 and 205's have more power than the 175 and can still be towed behind your dump... a s205 is a kick ass snow machine.

12. MetroProperties

i dont want turbo

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

great minds think alike:salute:

14. rob_cook2001

You don't want a turbo???? That's like saying you would rather have a myers plow over a boss Haha.. but seriously why don't you want a turbo??

15. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

Midtown if you were looking at the JCB 40, top speed is 20 km, nifty rig tho.
    Metro you may not want turbo now but you'll regret it in the future.
    You need the 2 speed option.
    Or a Toolcat with a high dump bucket for stacking and loading or a blower, 30 km road speed.
    Good on grass.
    jmo

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  16. MetroProperties

I look at a turbo being an extra somthing to brake. I love it in my truck but I dont really find it necessary for a tractor and also it costs 4,000 to replace one on a skid steer. I went to john deere and I found out you cant put a backhoe on a 3038e and also they said i would get very good performance in a more compact 2720

17. dirtnazi

dirtnazi Member
    from ct

If your not going to get a turbo or 2 speed don't waste your money

18. MetroProperties

Well i would get a two speed for sure but im starting to lean towards a tractor

19. Plow horse

Plow horse Senior Member

Are you talking about Jd 3038 E as in the little 30 hp economy tractor? If you are then look for DUEL brakes, they do not have them, " Stupidist IDEA on a really nice machine". I was looking at them my self to replace my 750, they are low to the ground compared to the 3520 witch is to skinny for its hight for me.

20. rob_cook2001

If I remember right these little deere's only weigh 2000-3000 lbs. They are not going to be very productive at all.. might push a little 6ft plow.. maybe. Probably won't stack any higher than a experienced guy in a plowtruck.