1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tractor values? opinions please... any Farm guys?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ontario026, Feb 20, 2011.

1. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I might have an opportunity to buy a couple tractors what I think should be fairly cheap, they would be bought probably for resale, and maybe to keep 1 of them to move boat trailers around my marina.... What do you think these tractors would be worth?

First, John Deere 4040 approx 1984, working condition

second Ford 6600 approx 1985, about 5600 hrs, working condition

from the pics it looks like the ford has a 3 pt hitch setup, but it does not show a 3pt hitch on the Deere? I do not know tractors, but would/should the deere have 3 point capabilities, just no linkages installed, if so what would it cost to add the linkages to give 3pt??

Thanks in advance for your opinions

2. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

I was thinking of bidding on those myself... but Kingston is a bit too far for me to haul back to Montreal.
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

If you're looking for an average resale value just go to tractorhouse.com and see what they're selling for.
  4. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

Best case scenario the Ford is worth $5000.00 - deere with no cab in the shape it's in probably 12 - 14 000. Was at a sale a couple of weeks ago, a 4040 deere with cab in mint shape brought 20 000
  5. GabrielFarms

GabrielFarms Junior Member

I think turf guy is pretty close, maybe as much as $7000 for the 6600 on a real good day.
  6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

The fact that they are 2 wheel drive and no cabs, not a great idea for snow.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

3pt hitch linkage would probably be easy to find at a salvage yard. That and along with the pieces to fix the cab.

I'd keep the Deere and sell the Ford. You didn't mention using one for snow, but you would probably be able to get away with sticking a 3pt blower on the Deere.

The 4040 would have plenty of power for what you are talking about using it for also. Also it looks to be an 8 speed power shift which comes in handy at times. The only down side to the 8 speed is that you'll have a few gears the seem to "slam" if you don't have the RPM's set correctly.
  8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

My bad, he did mention it was for his marina.
  9. bechbru2

bechbru2 Junior Member
    from pa

4040 open station should bring no more then 12 at a sale.
  10. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

You'll find the Deere to be HUGE when trying to move things around. 90 hp and ~10,000# and L O N G. My MF is similar in size to the Ford and I can move trailers around quite easily with it. www.fastline.com would be another place to look at comps.

11. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

well they both sold today for way way more than I would have been looking to pay at auction... I really don't have that much of a use for either, but if the price was right I wouldn't have minded them, maybe 1 to sell and 1 to use around the marina.... But at least I still have my old diesel Ford/dahmer rough terrain forklift for moving some stuff around.....

Some of you guys were pretty close on the prices...

The Ford 6600 sold for $6666
    and the 4040 Deere sold for $15,700