1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor - suggestions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Nov 1, 2006.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I am possibly looking into (if my accountant will let me) getting a small tractor later on this year. What should I be looking for? I am open for suggestions.
    Thank You
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

An enclosed cab. At least 40hp and some weight on the rear end with loaded tires, weight box, backhoe etc.
  3. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

what type of things you looking to do with it?....i would suggest one of those new 4000 twenty series with a cab that john deere makes. I would also suggest to stick with a hydrostactic transmission especially if you are doing a lot of snow work.
  4. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

The first thing is don't buy one of the cheap imports,you get what you pay for. If some time you want to sell it or trade it for a larger tractor you cannot give the imports away.
    Also get it with front wheel assist,and loader find out if you want agriculture tires, turf or construction.
    You would also want independent PTO, as large of a hydraulic pump as you can get.
    Don't get one that is to small. You can always use a large tractor on a small job but not a small one on a large job. As an example my smallest is running 150HP largest is running 230HP both have loaders. When I want to move something I will normally get the larger one, it does the jop so much easier. I think that 40 HP is too small, when you put a cab on and add heat and air you run out of HP fast.
  5. Mick

from Maine

Yes, 150 hp would be nice but not practical in my opinion - too much money. I use my 41hp tractor to move snow and it does real good. BUT, I don't have shuttle shift or other power-robbing features. I also don't have a cab and use it just for my driveway on fairly warm days. I was considering using it this winter and would have to put a cab on it. Besides, he said a SMALL tractor which yours are not. My point was that keep him from the 15-20 hp models that are common.

I'd also caution lumping all imports in the same "junk" category. I got a Mahindra and it is a beast. Very well-built for the homeowner. The Kabota is a very well-respected machine with good resale and it is an import. Mahindra is where Kabota was a few years ago. I looked at all the brands, JD included. I got more tractor for less money - the JD logo was not worth $5,000.

If used primarily for snow work, I would agree that you will want hydro shift. Look at all the tractors, consider which options are important to you (mainly shifting and lift capacity). Decide if you will be selling/trading it within ten years or will it still be there when you die? For me, resale is irrelevant as I expect to pass this on to one of my kids.
  6. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

Most people only see the price tag and don't look at the details on a tractor. All small tractors are import even JD. You have to get up to around 100hp before its made in the USA. And yes you pay dearly for the JD name. I was not saying he needs a 150hp, which I agree he does not. I was using it as an example saying that I use the larger one because it will do the work with less effort, it also has more hydraulics so the loader works faster. Just not to get one that will be to small in hp because of adding on power robbing options, like hydro transmisson, cab with air. No matter what brand you have, or get make sure that you have a good dealer for support. I know in my area we have had several people start dealerships with the off brand tractors then go out of busness.
    One was selling tractors telling people that they had JD engines. Boy did he sell a bunch of them. Later some of them had engine problems and found out that they did not have a JD engine, and the dealer was long gone and they were left out in the cold.
    Those people who bought from dealerships that have gone out of bussness cannot get parts or warranty work done with out driving along distance. Then if they have to have warranty work done they have to pay for a haul bill or haul the tractor themselves.
    Just be aware of what you buy no matter if it's, a tractor, truck, snowplow and make sure that you have a good local dealer.
  7. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

All I am looking for in a tractor is something that will can be easily moved around on a trailer and be able to move snow around.
  8. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

About 90% of the John Deere tractors are made in Waterloo, IA. The main reason why John Deere builds tractors overseas is to keep up with customer demand and create competition. I am biased since that's who signs my paycheck every week, but imported anything is junk. Mahindra is made in India......ya know the same place you end up getting directed to whenever you have a credit card billing question or trying to book plane tickets.
  9. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Wow, Did not know that about John Deere. I am a firm supporter of things made here in the USA.
  10. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

John Deere

I do a lot of plowing with a new John Deere 4720 with cab. it works great. It has everything on it. Lights, strobe lights, heat, lots of glass to see out of, radio. I have the Deere loader with a 8 ft. Land Pride blade. This is a pricy item, but works great. it has around 58 hp. Just my 2 cents worth
  11. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Kubota, Kubota, Kubota. THE most reliable piece of equipment I own. Everyone else who has one says the same thing. Kubota.
  12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Yep! Kubota is one of the best out there. They're far from 'import garbage'. ;)
  13. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Have ran both... Either John Deere or Kubota are generally good machines. I really have no use for blind brand loyality. What ever you decide to purchase try to find a way to keep the machine working year round.
  14. NASConst_land

NASConst_land Member

We have a JD 4010, it is a smaller compact tractor 18.5 Hp diesel. We originally baught this to move mulch, and it is a beast. We figured we would try it doing some other things. well it is very effiecent at anything it does. The only time we ever say, wish we would of baught the bigger one is when we are pulling a pulverizer if it is damp at all.

We plow snow with it, it is awesome its quick, it can move alot of material at once and is easy to use. The best thing about this piece of equipment is that we can load it on a landscape trailer and have any truck pull it around, it doesnt weigh much at all. We have had it for a little over a year now and put over 400 hours on it. It was very much worth the money we spent. Good luck
  15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Speak for yourself. I've been selling imports for over a year now. (all tractors under 40hp are actually imports)

I carry tractors up to 125 HP. We use them ourselves for everything from doing snow to plowing our fields, hay, etc...

The larger HP tractors have perkins/cummins engines in them and they are absolutely bulletproof.

The smaller tractors sell for $14,000 CDN with a 6' blade and make incredible sidewalk machines, etc...

And at $40,000-$50,000 for 60-125HP tractor compated to $120,000, they only need to last 1.5 years to pay themelves off.

Best of all, they are competely field servicable. When a relay goes in CI 7120 and you can't operate your hydraulics you will see what a headache that can be.

When you buy a John Deere you get what you pay for too, green paint and an "american" name.

As for things like hydraulics, etc... you can always add a PTO pump afterwards if your output is too low. The resevoir can be 3PH mounted and double as a weight box.
  16. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

Not all tractors under 40 hp are imports. All John Deere compact tractors are made in Augusta, Ga. The cabs for them are made in Waterloo, Ia. Then you say that if you want those extra things they can always be added. Why buy a cheaper model then have to add stuff to make what a Deere has anyways. Also one of those cheap things will not put out the hp of a Deere. Also their is resale. How many people are crawling over themselves to get that cheep tractor? And for service? I can order any John Deere part at 6:00 pm and have it at 6:00 am, guranteed. If you are going to spend the money and be in business buy the equipment that will last, have resale, and will get the job done right. And also, I am proud to run equipment that is "American Made"
  17. Mick

from Maine

Mahindra got it's start making the Willy's Jeep following WWII. It has partnered with IH and Ford. There are Mahindra plants in TX and GA. Mahindra USA is headquarted in Tombull Tx. Parts are readily available at these plants.

India is also where many Americans go for medical treatment, including operations.

I do not intend to bash other brands, simply advocate for the brands with which I have experience.
  18. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

all john deere tractors under 100 hp are considered utility tractors and are made in Germany. most things are just assembled in the us. there is not much made in this country any more sad but true. but back to the subject buy a deere.
  19. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

I've been plowing with a NH TN55 (47hp) for 4 years. It is 4wd and has a removable cab. I hang 1000lbs of conc block on the rear and have a FFC 10' pusher on the front. Plow in 5th gear all night long. Twice as fast as a truck witha 10' blade. The tractor with conc, loader and cal filled tires is about 8000lbs moveable on a 6 ton trailer. It is a shuttle shift mech 8 speed trans. I would not get a hydro, robs to much HP. The tractor is made in Italy. This machine has paid for itself in snow removal alone, the other 9 months as a TLB (woods 1050) are all gravy........New paid $26,000. Can push 200-300' in straight lines up to 6" out snow.

A tractor with a pusher is the single best piece of snow equipment you can buy for medium sized commercial.
  20. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

All John Deere tractors are made in Mexico...

Just kidding...:) :) :) thought it was funny. Seems JD's are made everwhere...;)