1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor Snowblowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by THE BOSS 1975, Mar 19, 2006.

1. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

I was just wondering if anyone has used lawn tractors to blow or plow their sidewalks on commercial jobs .I landed a deal on a tractor and it has all these attachments including a 42" mower deck and I was thinking the blower attachment would be ideal but don't know much about them ,so your input would greatly be appreciated.:D
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I plow(ed) with a 16 horse John Deere with 44" blade. It does a really good job up to about 8" of powder, then it starts to come over the top of the blade. I have plowed 13" of powder on a 250' driveway, but I had to make several passes. I plowed 6" of heavy wet stuff, but took forever because you could only make quarter passes. They are really good for long flat, straight driveways, but areas with turns are hard because it is hard to control the windrow and even harder to make a sharp turn. You just have to be really careful, especially on the clutch as they like to go out. I have never used a snowblower on a lawn tractor, but I have heard that they are much easier to control snow wise. I would go with the blower for sidewalks because when the sidewalk ends (or the part you are contracted to plow) you can just stop. With my tractor it was a PITA to do partial sidewalks because it would just leave a heap of snow. Then you had to make a few swipes off to the side just to clear the sidewalk. So, IMO for just sidewalks I would go with the blower.
  3. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

if you want a blower get a walk behind one...much easier to maneuver and alot quicker/eaiser to haul.

If you definitally want to use the tractor i'd say get a blade for 200 bucks and it will save a ton of time...i would do it but i just cant see an easy way to load/unload it.....its faster to shovel some places by the time i get the machine unloaded....not to mention icy ramps can be a night mare.
  4. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

not sure how they work but if anyone wants one they can have mine. It was given to me and I have no use for it. Ready to just get rid of it, have the pulleys and belts for it as well. I have no idea what kind of tractor it fits (are they universal?)
  5. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I assume your talking about a graden tractor blower?? I have never used one, although my brother-law usees a craftsman all the time and swears by it. I run two New Holland utility tractors with front mount blowers. They work awesome for the residential driveways and walks that we do. Cab, heat, fans, out of the cold!
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed for several years with a JD 214 with a 38" single stage snow blower. The little tractors rock. But not having a cab sucks.:(

I now have a 50" two stage blower and cab on my kubota B7500. Now talk about something that rocks when it snows.
  7. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

ya at my company we use a kabota with a blower on it, and we also put a cab on it. It really does a good job at handling deep snow. It has a hard time getting down to the sidewalk, but it clears the bulk, and that helps out on the shoveling. When ur operating it tho, it feels like your in a grain conbine. Its really big, and you have to constantly watch the sides of it.