1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor Salter Ideas?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Bill Rowe, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

The company I work for has 3 T6020 New Holland tractors that we use to plow & blow snow
    What we'd like to do is attatch a salters to the tractors or have a trailer salter for them & have them be able to go out and salt parking lots.
    We've considered somethings already but are wondering if any one else has done this or uses this kind of set up & what kind of ideas you have.
    I've asked about a deicated salt truck ---no was the reply, the boss is through with having a truck fleet , so the tractors have to do more.

Thanks
    Bill

www.snowman.ca

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

How many lbs/tons a night are we talking about and how far apart are the sites?

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Check out Epoke I dont know if I spelled it right. They make the, & self loading as well, after seeing the price he may reconsider the salt truck.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have salted with tractors for over 30 years, we just stopped using them in 03. Go with a used municipal V box or any hydraulic V Box for that matter on a trailer. You can hook the salter directly to yor remotes and it will work perfect. Having adjustable flow controls inside the tractor will make life easier though. Forget Epoke, great stuff but you have to get your wallet out. We actually pulled an 8 yard London V around with our 95 hp Case's.

5. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

Salt tonage & distance to sites would varry depnding on contracts, the tractors run all over the city now plowing , so I'd expect the same for salting.

Epoke, nice but big $$.

JD, did you use the trailer set-up on one site or move it site to site?
    Any diadvantges or headaches? Why don't you still use your tractors to salt anymore?
    One idea was to take an old truck frame, cut it off behind the cab & make trailer hitch & mount the salter. Another was to buy a farm fertilizer spreader & adapt it, again big $$.
    Thanks.

www.snowman.ca

6. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

Looking for opinions & ideas on some of these salters......wondering if anyone has used these or similar.http://www.easternfarmmachinery.com/images/products/bmc.spreaders.price.pdf**** http://www.solexcorp.com/manuals/vicon/spreaderbrochure.pdf * www.bobballe.com***** the S3 spreader we were looking at.*We are thinking some thing that can handle sand/salt mix and be capable of handling 2yrds or 2000kg.( 2.2lbs to 1 kg )*My boss would like to talk or email with someone who has used this type of system.******** Thanks.*********** Bill*www.snowman.ca

7. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

sorry last post ended up so jumbled up.I clicked the arrow thing to make the box smaller & it shoved it all together.

8. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Direct Landscape Supply uses them. They work great. Give them a call, they are out of Oshawa. Ask to speak to Mark.

9. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

Pristine:

Thanks for the referance............I think we've already talked to them, if we have'nt we will call Direct landscape.

www.snowman.ca

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the truck frame idea and a vbox, the 3 point hitch spreaders are for fertilizer won't handle sand and are expensive. We used ours onsite and we stopped using them because we out grew them.

11. storm king

storm king Member

A big seed hopper sreads salt - sand , or salt sand mix with no problem ,thats what we use and she works really good plus no electrical junk to worry about, keep it coverd and dry and you will have no problems

12. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

The thing with the trailer/salter idea is that, we want to send them all over town, not just on one site. We're thinking it would be an accident waiting to happen, driving & backing -up & maneuvering in various size parking lots.

What happened that you out grew them?

www.snowman.ca

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We spread 30-40 ton /storm and the tractors we're too slow and we don't like getting salt on our tractors as they all sit onsite and don't go down the road.

14. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

Do you leave them on the tractors all the time or put them on just to salt?

some of them we've looked at are fiberglass & could be damaged very easily by backing into something or being hit with a loader bucket during loading. Parts are expensive! Have you had many issues with this?

www.snowman.ca

15. storm king

storm king Member

They are made of steel , not many parts to break . The ones we have are made by frontieer ,but I think woods makes them , ( the ones I am talking about look like a giant funnel, follow,) then frontier paints them green puts thier sticker on them and jacks the price up and rips you off for one.
    We have quick - tach on the rear of the tractors , and switch between box blades on the 3 point and then to the hopper if salt sand is needed , it is quick and easy to switch, only taks as long as it takes to hook up the PTO and your off spreading.
    We even spread calicum with it on the sidewalks at a mall we do with no problems .
    I have seen them sold through northen tool pretty cheap ,but not the big suckers , it might be worth giving them a call to save a few bucks if they have them.
    We are done using green tractors and equiptment john deere has really gone downhill , and thier stuff is a rip off ! ONLY BLUE FOR US THE PAST FEW YAERS , much better tractors . Good luck if you go with a hopper you won't be sorry you did , just make a cover for it to keep the salt dry and from freezing and you will be good to go , find a tractor dealer near you and go try one out , they are the deal man.

16. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

Storm,
    whats up with green tractors? We just bought 2 , 3720 JD tractors to do sidewalks we may be close to signing a deal for our 1st big green one , we bought blue last year , price was good ( dollar in our favor last year ) What's your experiance with them? We're looking at case this time too.

My boss bought 2, 3point salters. I'll post more info when I find out what kind.

Thanks to everyone for the advice & input.
    Bill

www.snowman.ca

17. blmland

blmland Junior Member

LandPride makes plastic and stainless steel funnel spreaders. They can hold several tons of material.