1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tractor question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Oct 7, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i know a lot of guys north of the border run tractors with rear pto blowers, and have been considering that for our resi operation, currently have about 150 residential drives within a 1 mile radius and do it with 3 trucks.

there is a possibility of acquiring about 1000 more drives within about 3 yrs if this operation would prove successful and yield better results compared to truck and plow. (its a senior citizen discount program for the city, city just sends out sign ups to citizens, all the rest is between client and contractor)

now, the trailer dealer had a kioti dk90 with fel for 39K cash price. is this a good deal? i know its a kioti, but if it could get my foot in the door with my current resi route then why not?
  2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Kioti is an "off brand" tractor & parts might be difficult to get quickly. IMO the only way to go resi is with the tractor mounted inverted blowers. Theres no doubt u can get driveways done more efficiently, compared to push snowblowers/ramps or plowtruck.

Wheres Neige, get him on this thread!
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I actually may get a tractor with a blower for next season and go 100% residential. There's a pretty good demand for residential contracts but no one really wants to do them. After seeing the setup Neige has I'm really considering it. Don't have to worry about bidding every year and if you loose a couple there's always someone else that wants their driveway done.
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I would look into the Kubota M40 series. Like a M7040 to M9540. The Kioti's around here at least are a very off brand. I will admit that the price was a bit appealing at one point, but I couldn't bring myself to actually buy one. If I need a part for my Kubota and its not in stock, I have it the next day. Kioti? Not so much, at least around here.

The driveway thing is something that I have once considered bringing to my area as there is a demand for it, but I got so deep into the commercial stuff that I just didn't see room or time for resi's. I also think that I would be taking on an unexpected headache dealing with resi customers.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  5. PTSolutions

resi was what we started doing over 20yrs ago and over the last few i grew to incorporate more commercial accounts. and your definitely right about a whole 'nother headached with clients... but the margins are much much better when done in sufficient volume.

ya, i was just wondering as i have heard mixed stories about the kioti's. this one was loaded, full cab, heat/ac, cd radio etc... and 90hp which was surprising for only 40g's.

i was thinking of having the tractors take over the resi completely with a truck or two as backup, and have the trucks and other equip handling our commercial accounts. i like to diversify my clients, safer that way.
  6. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Have a little faith in yourself. If you think you can get the work, You know the truck isn't the best all around, Get the Kubota New Holland CaseIH, Deere, Massey. They hold their value and you get great service out of the Rig. Key is to have things be close together or have a slick way to haul and quickly unload. Good luck
  7. PTSolutions

i have good ins at the city council so im gonna check out the laws regarding a tractor on the city roads here. we are a pretty recognized name in the city as our equipment ranging from lawn maintenance to installs is always driving around.
  8. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blowers

The last thing you want is an inverted blower for residential work as you will not be able to remove all the snow and it will be a bear if the snow is very deep to drive forward in.

The Pronost PXPL86 is rated for 50-75 horse power iron and you can plow and drag out the driveways and then blow the snow out if you want with ease and the rear scraper will remove the snow to bare ground for you:nod:.

I would suggest you look at Kubota with one of the M 8540 utility tractors with a pressurised tractor cab.

The kubota 8540 and the PXPL 86 will let you set a seasonal price as it does not take long to clear driveways with the PXPL86.

pleae look at the pronovost site www. machineriespronovost.qb.ca

they have a very nice video of the PXPL in action with a front mounted three point hitch tractor New Holland?

The folks at You tube have a largew number of Pronovost Videos too.

9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

That is a great price for a new 90 hp tractor. If I am not mistaken they have a 4 year warranty. Since you will not be putting more than 300 hrs a year on it (snow use) it may be a great start up tractor. I would make sure that they have some kind of tractor availale for you if there is any problems with it while under warranty. Check out some other tractor companies and see what prices they offer.

Lastly I have to disagree with Leon on this on. (its not often that I do) A standard inverted blower will work out best. You will be servicing your clients often, and not letting 12 inches of snow accumulate. Not that the inverted blower could not handle it. We have done drives with 3 feet of snow in them,not as fast mind you but it can be done. Good luck with this and keep us up to date how its going.

10. PTSolutions

thanks neige, i was hoping you would chime in on here. thats what i figured with the starter tractor, i wont be seeing "heavy" use as on a farm, just the pto blower in the winter and maybe a rear brush mower in the off season. heck, at that price it would pay itself off in half a season with just the residentials.

so with the inverted unit, i drop the blower as i back into the driveway, this way it clears as i back into it right? the other units you drive into the driveway, drop the blower then clear as your drive out?

so the inverted pxpl blower would be ideal?
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  11. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

You could consider a used Kubota or Deere, but I see no problem with a Kioti.

With the inverted unit, you back in the driveway, then drop the blower as you drive out blowing facing forward.

As far as the pxpl, it's not a inverted blower. The pxpl is a whole different animal and if you don't own a Bi-directional tractor don't buy one.
    Just check out the Pronovost web site to help understand how they look and work.
  12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

This is what I am talking about.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PuI9zcWKs2Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PuI9zcWKs2Q?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  13. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

6 driveways in about 4 mins. pretty fast
  14. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

This is interesting however, I need to get within about 12" of the garage doors,(Because shoveling is easier) so I pull the drive to the street with the blade on the loader boom and back into it w/ the blower to the lawn.