1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vis, Dec 27, 2004.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

i was just wondering if any of you use snow plows on regular lawn tractors...
    I have a 1 year old 18hp craftsman sittin in the garage, and i saw it at sears with the plow attached....it looked pretty cool

any of you ever used it for moderate snows up to like 5 inches? Im thinkin it would be faster to plow these smaller storms then using the snowblower.

2. cc2004

cc2004 Member

We use a 54inch state plow on our atv for sidewalks.
    I'm not sure how it would work on a tractor.

I think i would rather use a plow that a snowblower.
  3. jimmymac

jimmymac Junior Member

Hello Vis,

I just bought a 1971 Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor with a 42" Blade. It also came with wheelweights and chains. The past two storms we had I had no problem moving the snow off the driveway. I don't know where you are in Connecticut but I have no problems on the shoreline. I now use my snowblower as a back up.
  4. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

thanks, it just seems like plowing on the tractor would be fun and alot quicker.....if it got too deep i could just blow it away no problem.

I think i just might buy one, anyone else done will with tractor plows?
  5. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

I have a John Deere GT235 with a 48" blade with trip springs. Weights and chains too. Plows great. Great for getting in between cars and stuff. SO much more visibility from the driver's seat than when plowing in the truck. :)
  6. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

i dont want it commercially, i just wanted to plow my drive and possibly some of the neighbors....i saw it at sears yesterday all attached and it looked sweet lol
  7. danno

danno Senior Member

I`ve had a sears 12 hp tractor with weights and chains and a 48 in. blade. Used it for 12 years. Worked great. Except in wet snow about 5 inches deep. Wheels just spun.
    What I also did was, I bought another 48 inch moldboard, cut it in half, and put 3 bolts into it for each side and bolted it to each end to extend the plow to 8 ft !. The moldboard cost about 40.00. It worked great to about 3 inches, then was too much to push.
  8. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

lol im happy with the 42'' blade, i figure 2 passes up and down the drive way and about 8-10 to clear the turn around....again only up to 5 inches, then i would go with the blower

thanks for the advice guys,

also,, are the weights and chains necessary for only 1-5 inches with the blade angled?
  9. danno

danno Senior Member

You need weights and chains for practically any amount. Tires slip without them.
  10. j&j properties

j&j properties Junior Member

I've used an old Case 222 garden tractor for the past 6 years. i modified a quad plow for it because i couldn't find a "tractor" form like a sears or home depot would stand up to the abuse of 6+" of snow that I have plowed with it(since it is custom fit it's easier on the tractor). I love it still some times even more than the plow on my truck. The manuerverablity and visability of what your plowing can't be beat.

I also agree that chains are a must, and extra weight for balast is always a good idea just like in a truck.

Good luck on your plowing adventures and I hope you find the right setup for you!
  11. chris doherty

chris doherty Junior Member

I Have A Sears 20hp Tractor With 42in Blade And Chains.it Can Push Up To 7 To 8 Inches .i've Done Storms Were We Get Up To 2 Feet.i Think A Small Tractor Is Ok For Doing Homes .just To Show Well It Works I Do A 25foot Wide By 100 F Eet Long Drive Way .today I Pushed 12inches Of Snowfrom This Litte Coastel Storm .i Just Wish It Had Heat
  12. jasf

jasf Member

I've got a Craftsman 21.5 Hp with a 42" blade.Used it for the second time tonite.Much better than using the walk behind.5" snowfall , some of the drifts were over a foot , but that little tractor cleared it all.Cold-YES,tired-NO.
  13. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

i might have to go to sears and set up this plow for the next storm :D
  14. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Hey bud, I have a 16.5 hp. Lawn tractor from sears, with a blade on it. This thing rocks ! plowed residential with it for 3 years now ( saved money to buy a truck and plow :redbounce ). They can push a mountain of snow.

1. Make sure you have tier chains!!
    2. Momentum is the name of the game, don't stop once you start a push.
    3. do not spin the tiers! you will really mark up the driveways!
    4. Craftsmen wheel weights are expensive and don't weigh enough. thus buy "tube sand" in the 70 lb bags (they are like 2 bucks) and lay them between the seat and engine.
    5. Have a "quick start" or fuel stabilizer in the gas.
    6. Make sure you have a good battery. if it gets to cold bring the battery inside.
    7. oil and grease every moving part on the plow or it will get stuck.
    8. run a light weight oil in the tractor.
    9. Tighten the tier chains really well then use heavy duty zip ties to double lock them on. You do not want to have one fall off when plowing. It is not fun :cry:
    10. buy a nice jacket and snow pants :nod:

Give me a Call at (630) 750- 2333 I can give you some tips.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  15. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

16. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Since I was 13 I was using a JD 214 with 42" blade and 38" snow blower. Now I have a Kubota B7500 with all the goodies. I do all residential that are straight in driveways or straight up. No body wants to do these driveways in a truck. So I can make a killing. Either they have no place to put the snow or they can't push it very far up hill. So my snow blower makes it so easy.

Next year this tractor should have a cab on it. Along with a new truck with a snow plow backing it up doing commercial accounts. :drinkup:

This is an old picture. I now have a loader mounted snow plow on it which I build.

DSC00055 (2) (2).JPG
  17. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I use a Bolens tractor. I've plowed much deeper snow than that.
  18. bolensdriver

:p Not on a Bolens.. I've plowed probably 6 times this year and have no wheel weights or tire chains on it yet. Haven't gotten stuck, doesn't spin much, and it's only 2wd.
  19. bolensdriver

20. bolensdriver