1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor plowing? Which one is the best??

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by Seasons, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Seasons

Seasons Junior Member

I'm looking to purchase a used tractor for plowing, can you tell me from experience which one is the best and which plow?? im thinking HLA plow that goes from 10ft box to 16ft open?? New Holland, Case, John Deere??. How many hours would be too many?? and what to look for?? I currently run a John Deere 544 with a 12 ft pusher but need something quicker.
  2. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

How old is the 544? That should push more snow than a tractor.
  3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

If this is a modern 544 just up the pusher to a 14' or 16' pusher. Should still be just as quick if not faster. The main reason guys run tractors is because they are typically cheaper than a wheel loader or they own them for farming. Now, some do prefer tractors; so give us some details on the 544?
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree with the guys above. A late model 544 will out plow basically any tractor.
  5. Seasons

Seasons Junior Member

The John Deere is a great machine but travel speeds from site to site is slow and uncomfortable, thats why im thinking of a tractor with a 10-16 ft plow.