1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor please help

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by IDOCTORTREES, Oct 21, 2010.

1. IDOCTORTREES

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

I am in need of adding an additional piece of equipment for snow removal. I have loaders, plowtrucks and toolcats. I would like to add a tractor for pushing snow with a backblade for pulling out parking areas. The average size of its responsibility will be banks, gas stations, etc. I am leaning towards a tractor because of the versatility of use in the summertime with the three point. We have both John Deere and Kubota dealers here. Would like to have some input and suggestions on equipment that has actually been used. Thanks

2. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Deere and kubota are fine (You already know that) Iwould LOVE the toolcat for gas stations (Which I don't do anymore) I would own a toolcat instead of the the "Boomer" I have currently, if the toolcat had about 25mph, but sadly it doesn't so I haul the 34hp Boomer on my C60 4x4 because it does a great job and is lighter making it a little less effective in snow, but much safer to load up to a truck bed 54" off the ground. Equiped with a loader bucket/7.5 blade with wings and 3pt with 60" blower/7'backblade. I am a second generation operator w/ a setup like this I do all resi' and HOA and I work by myself

3. IDOCTORTREES

from MONTANA

I found a 60 horse power Kubota with bobcat style attachments for bucket and has 96" rear blade. 4x4. New max speed 16 1/2 miles per hour travel speed. Hydrostatic drive. $41,000.00. I am on the fence, not sure what to do. Would love some input. Would you consider this a great machine, an okay machine, gets the job done, but leaves a lot to be desired. Give me your thoughts.

4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

What you are describing sounds like a pass. Although it has 60hp, that's small in the world of snow. I'd also go with a gear drive instead of a Hydo. I know they sound like a pain, but most newer tractors have left hand reversers that can be shifted without clutching.

No matter which brand (Deere, New Holland, Kubota, etc.) they are all nice.
    I'd be looking for something in the 80HP minimum range.
    You should be able to find something in the 100hp range that should have a 25mph speed at a decent price.
    To outfit the tractor, (depending on price) put a Ebling back drag blade on the 3 pt. hitch and a 10 or 12 ft. pusher on the loader.
    Check out: tractorhouse.com they have every tractor listed you could think of.

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Nothing wrong with either brand of machines...I agree on the 100 HP suggestion.

I read somewhere that Deere is trying to be more like Kubota's lately.

How does that saying go?...imitiation is the sincerest form of flattery.:drinkup:

6. Black01Z

Black01Z Member
    from VT

I would highly recommend Kubota for almost any piece of equipment. Especially tractors.

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I second that.

8. gtstang462002

gtstang462002 Senior Member

The amount of money that you are looking to spend on that Kubota you can get a decent bobcat with a cab. I find them to be much more versatile than tractors as you can see what you are doing with the front end. I have plowed with tractors and skid steers. I will take the skid steer every time. For snow I recommend tires over tracks (though I currently use a track machine, it is all I have). They both have advantages and disadvantages.

9. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

So by that you mean Deere builds a really really super $hitty 6 D series tractor, which is based to compete with a Kubota cause all thier other ones are too good right...

LOL

Im just screwing with you, If it wasnt a Deere it would be a newholland or kubota....

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

At minimum you will want a 6000 series Deere. Nothing wrong with a Kubota but I have never owned one so I can't comment. I agree with everything that blowerman said. A 25 mph transmission is a must on any tractor as far as I'm concerned and I would look at building or buying a harness for your blade. A 10-16 Horst Snowing would be a great fit for what you want to do with it.

11. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

last year we purchased a bobcat ct450 (50hp compact tractor) Its a hydro with cab and heat and all the fixings. we put a 9.5' angle blade on the front for the same sized lots and for pulling out parking spaces at apartment complexes. It has been a sweet machine. Dont get me wrong its a compact tractor so it would not be a good candidate for a 16' pusher box, but for what you are talking about it may be worth looking into.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Setup the proper tractor and it will do 3 times as much as the skid and actually be a pleasure to drive.

13. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You put a 9.5' blade on a 50hp... WOW, My dads pretty hesitant about putting a 7' vblade on a 3720 deere (44hp) dosent think it will be able to push it... Im pretty sure it will do more then fine... after reading that im even more confident...

14. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

Tripple l
    its just an angle staight blade, not a box pusher. But yeah we loaded the rear tires for more weight and use 4x4 when needed but it worked out sweet.

15. gtstang462002

I have yet to find a task, other than bush hogging, that a tractor can do better than a skid steer or CTL.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I guess I should buy some more skids then.:rolleyes:

17. gtstang462002

I don't know what works for you in Canada, but I know what works for me in the DC area and my tractors have been parked since I bought my skid steer over a year ago. Very rarely will you see a pusher on the front of any piece of equipment here as we don't get as much snow as you guys up north and the equipment spends more time moving dirt than it does snow.

18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Darn JD, and I got all these tractors. On a serious note, I don't see how you have better vision in a skid steer. An ag tractor you have great 360 degree vision, and amazing pushing power.

19. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I bet you're shocked to read that you've been going about it all wrong.

20. IDOCTORTREES

from MONTANA

Thanks For all the help.. You guys are great