1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tractor or truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by k brown, Nov 22, 2005.

1. k brown

k brown Junior Member
    from ontario

i am new to snow removal and i am currently doing 7 res. driveways this year with a 10hp 30" 2 stage snowblower.My question is, next year i plan on doing substantially more and feel i would need to upgrade.i like the idea of a small diesel kubota(or any brand) with a heated cab and a blower or should i go with a plow truck.
    ps. can i drive a tractor around town?
  2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Can you drive it around town? Technically NO. If you planning on driving from account to account a truck would be in order.
  3. danno

danno Senior Member

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Why not? In Maine, I can put a license plate, insurance and a 6' plow on my tractor. Why couldn't I run it around town, especially if I had a heat houser?
  5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

friend of mine has a John Deere 4700 and drives it on the road about 9-10 miles per storm. It really depends on
    A) how busy are the roads to be travelled on?
    B) how far apart are the jobs?
    C)How slow are you willing to travel to get between jobs?
    The 4700 tops out around 20 miles an hour. We just run the 4-way flashers when ever we're on the road. Usually the police are more worried about other things around here when it snows, they don't pay too much attention to the tractors clearing the roads.
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I plowed 15 account for two years with my Kubota B7500 (no cab btw) total of 2.5 miles between them. Works great. Turns tighter, narrower, more visablitly, gets in and out faster than most trucks. Plus when it got deep. Or its drifted really badly. I could just put the blower on and blow it right out of my way. :drinkup: This year I up graded the reat mounted blower, and loader mounted plow to a front mount blower, frame mounted plow and curtis cab with heat (thank god). Its doing pile push back/blow back and then sidewalks.
  7. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

SMV sign

A 'slow moving vehicle' sign the triangular reflective kind is required in Ontario for tractors while road running. Lights are required for night running. The signs are standardized and available at the farm equipment & farm supply dealers. Are you doing rural driveways up there? A compact tractor and blower would be a nice combination for that.

We just finished 3 days and about 25 cm's here. The blower on the skid steer has already been out clearing
  8. k brown

k brown Junior Member
    from ontario

yeah the mother in-law lives down near guelph and i heard you guys got a bit of snow. we had about 6 cm thursday ,so i tried out the snow blower for the first time. i guess i could have just shoveled,but what fun would that be?