1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tractor or truck plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jacob land and, Feb 24, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

looking at a 2002 2500 deisel ram, going to put a plow on it or buy a tractor with a plow and a back blade... already have an equiptment trailer so i could haul the tractor. and it would keep the truck in better condition... looking at about $4500 range so niether the plow or tractor would be a new purchase.
  2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

You won't find much of a tractor with a plow for $4500. You will hardly find a riding mower with a plow for that.

A backblade is useless for any real snow moving. Same with a loader bucket. Your best bet with plowing snow is a front blade.

I rear blade does a messy job. A snowblower is worth the money but only for residential. You risk breaking windows in populated areas.

I've plowed plenty with tractors. And they have a place and can move a lot of snow. But they arn't comfortable to be in for 15 hours straight. Even a $300,000 combine with air ride, a/c, etc... is not as nice as being in a truck.
  3. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I'll start by saying, I know nothing of tractors, so I'll keep my opinion to myself. However, I do know a little a bit about trucks, and from what I've gathered, you
    would be VERY happy with a Cummins powered Ram and plow.

Everyone I've talked to and have pushed with one say: "It's an unbelievable truck!!" FWIW.:)
  4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Hat to say it, but you will have a hard time finding a tractor for under $5000 that will do anything you need it to do (I won't even tell you what mine costs!). The Curtis blade is great. You can plow like an other straight blade plow, but stack it pretty high. What you miss with the plow, you can stack with the bucket loader. I use a pivoting backblade for heavey snows, but driving the tractor, watch where I am going, operate the Cutis front plow, and try to figure out what the heck I am doing with the backblade gets really confusing (especially after a few long hours at night)!!!!!:dizzy: Goodluck anyhow!:waving:
  5. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

yea for 4500 it wont be anything special looking at an old massey with a front and rear blade, and an old old ford with a rear blade
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Put the plow on the truck

I paid $2410 for my curtis cab
    I bought a used kubota snow plow and blower from lawn king for $2000
    Plus $250 in fuel and tolls to go pick them up.
    And thats mounted to a $12,000 kubota B7500

Clark who runs it for me. He will tell you after about 12 hours of plowing he has had it. The ride really sucks. But at least he is warm and dry in the cab. But he doesn't complain to much because of what I pay him to sit in it. payup
  7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Old tractors are just that. Old tractors.

A back blade alone will not push snow efficiently. Even for doing your own driveway it is often messy. It won't really windrow the snow to the side efficiently like a front mounted plow and pushing snow with a back blade just makes a mess.

They are easy to work on and usually somewhat reliable, but I wouldn't depend on one for accounts. And when something does break, you will be hard pressed to find a 24 hour dealership stocking old massey parts.

We have a few old tractors and I don't rely on them for anything other than pulling harrows and moving manure.

Go for the truck and if you want a tractor start saving your money. Tractors are expensive. We have $120,000+ tractors on the farm. And for their range they arn't even top of the line. Even an $90,000 100hp tractor will push similar amounts of snow as a dump truck with the added convenience of a loader.