1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor or skid steer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buddhaman, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

Had a couple of apartment complexes approach me about snow plowing. It would be a lot of maneuvering needed so I was going to go with a tractor or a skid steer. I also have a couple other jobs I could use it at. I also do lawn maintenance and light landscaping in the summer months. Good thing about a tractor is that it can take some skid steer attachments and be easier on the lawns. The travel speed is higher also. It is also half the price. A skid steer has a lot more power though. Has anyone used a skid steer or a tractor for plowing? I was looking at Farmtrac 390DTC or a New Holland TC45DA. Or possibly a Cub Cadet or a Deere. That is what we have for reputable dealers here. Any opinions?

http://www.farmtrac.com/

http://www.newholland.com/h4/products/products_series_detail.asp?Reg=NA&RL=ENNA&NavID=000001277003&series=5154711

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_14101_10210_16210_-1#

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

IF you find a 2spd skid steer, the speed issue becomes a non-issue. Also, the skid steer is designed for just the type of work you describe, where the tractors will be underpowered and less capable. The manuverability and versatility of the skid steer will more than prove itself as worthy to you.

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Alot of the smaller tractors have very light loaders and are very easy to bend. You can mount the blade directly on the tractor with a subframe. The tractor has really good visibility compared to a skid. If you buy a tractor go with a brand name, it will be easier to get parts if needed and when resale time comes you will get all and more of your money back that you paid extra for the brand name.

4. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have both.

Skid loader takes care of 5 condo associations that are all in the same neighborhood

Tractor goes all over or where ever needed.

Skidloader = ASV RC 50
    Tractor = Deere 4520

Stick with name brand equipment. FarmTrac? = Chinese crap!!!!!!!

Deere, NH, Case IH, Kubota. Stick with a name

Peterbilt

5. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

Do you use the Deere for plowing or not? Does it have enough power for most tasks?

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Yes.

Its 50 horse. I have an 8 Ft box pusher and an 8 Ft Woods rear blade.

Tractor is loader with a factory cab. I realy like it alot.

ASV is a 50 horse, has an 8 Ft pusher with a pull back blade. It works great as well. I was a bit afraid that its tracks wouldn't work well, But they do and I am quite impressed.

Peterbilt

7. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

Is a 39 hp tractor sufficient or will it be lacking? I would like a 10' snow pusher for light snows and maybe a 6' or 7' for heavier stuff?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We run mostly tractors and nothing smaller then 95 hp. A skid is more durable then a compact tractor IMO. The loaders on the compacts are very light and easy to bend and the road speeds are not much better then a skid. A 39 hp tractor with a 10 ft pusher is a little much on the loader, it might be ok mounted on the tractor but personally I'd go with a skid.

9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

You are going to buy multiple width plows for different types of snow? Seems kinda crazy to me but to each their own.

Also. My equipment fits my needs, Just as your equipment fits yours. If I am ever to ask for an opinion on what I need to use, (Which on this site will never happen) I will ask for it.
    Plus I don't care what any other people use. You are all my competition. If I can do more with less then great.

Peterbilt

10. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

Reason I would buy multiple pushers is because I can purchase a 6' protech from a guy only a year old for $100.

11. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

The thing about a narrow pusher is that its only a few inches wider than the tractors bucket. I under stand that $100 sounds like a good deal but what are you realy gaining? Just buy an 8' and be done with it. Do it all with one pusher.

Go to the Avalance Web site. They have a Vid of a John Deere Compact with a 6 Ft pusher. Its only a few inches wider that the bucket its on. In my opinion its just not getting that tractor any where that the "Stock" bucket wouldn't.

But Its your money and your business so do what you want. Make up your own mind don't listen to me.

12. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

It doesn't attach to the bucket, it's a skid steer quick attach. The 6' would be for smaller areas, walkways etc. Also for long runs with heavy snow. The bigger one would be for open areas. Being that they have quick attach, change would be simple and quick. I like getting others opinions.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

For $100 I would buy the 6ft too, you can use it for a while and then look for a good deal on a 8ft. The 6ft pusher will be alot more productive then the bucket. JMO