1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor or skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by exclusive, Aug 24, 2014.

1. exclusive

exclusive Member

Hi guys I need some input what do you think is better for snow a skid steer or a tractor loader (kubota/kioti)

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Skid.....But depends upon your accounts and travel distance

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Some more background on the types of accounts would help you to get more answers.

4. exclusive

exclusive Member

I'm sorry I should of I do condo complexes I would be using it for moving snow piles and maybe one day put a push box on it

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Skid with a Kage, starting day one!

6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

SKID!! Once you plow with a properly set up skid you will be in love.. In a tight appartment complex a large skid can replace 3 trucks. Get a large frame machine (bobcat s250-s300 or s650-s750) and a 10 foot cage/snowwolfe system or a mid frame machine (s205 or s590) with a 8 foot system.. I am a bobcat guy, can help it lol
    make sure to get a 2 speed with a heater and good tires. Dont need snow tires to start but make sure you have good tread.

7. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

Here is a slightly biased opinion. A skid steer with a 6-1o extendable snow plow. This way you get into tight places and when the snowfall changes from light to heavy you can change the size of the plow. Or go with the reversible model to add the back dragging option.

http://www.cotech.ca/produits/gratte-extensible-couteau-fixe/ext6-10

8. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Definitely SKID

9. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

10. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Bet that's not cheap

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have both I started out with a Tractor yes I have a farm plus we was doing big I mean big seeding jobs So the tractor was thing to have for winter and summer

But if I was just getting in to snow for the first time It would be a Skid, After running one last year in a complex its the thing to have
    I have 3 condo's complex's and I always used a tractor and last year first time I used the skid Now I know A skid is a must thing to have
    First time used at my biggest complex the owner wanted to know if the skid was going be the rig there on every snow
    I was going add a 2nd skid this year but I bought another truck instead

12. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Why not a tractor/blower?

13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

He said he wants to use it to move snow piles.. a skid moves piles so much faster than a far tractor.

14. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

Oh, i thought guys were replying with comments and thoughts on how skids worked with a Kage and so on for plowing.
    Side note.... tractor with blower = no piles.:)

15. rdl

rdl Member
    from Quebec

In response to the comment about the price of the hydraulic 6-10 pusher, it's about $6k plus freight. For a 1400 pound plow I thinks that's pretty fair.