1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor Mounted

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by aprad22, Dec 25, 2009.

1. aprad22

aprad22 Junior Member

Does anyone find the blade attachment or snow blower attachment to a craftsman 42" tractor good?
    Would I be better off getting a 2 stage?

Thoughts please.. THANKS and merry christmas
  2. MattR

MattR Senior Member

I did not have the Craftsman, I own a Simplicity about the same size as you probably have. Also used 2 stage snowblowers. When I used the single stage blower for my tractor, it threw snow rather well. Not much difference than the 2 stage I had. Mine was setup with chains on the rear tires, no extra weights since I probably weighted it down plenty..lol. Not sure how chains are for blacktop drives though, mine was gravel and I did not have to worry about ruining it. If you can find a decent price blower for the tractor, go for it. Another thing I remember when comparing 2stage vs tractor with blower...is traction. With chains on tractor, the tractor has good traction. The 2stage blower I had did not have chains and would spin the tires often.

A friend of mine had a blade on his and that thing was just a pain to use if the snow got too deep. I usually had to rescue him because he would not be able to move the snow too great. A drawback of using a blade vs blower is the blade will only push snow, where the blower can throw the snow over the banks making it easier to clear the driveway without having to figure out new places to push the snow.

If you go with a blower, mount some drift cutters on it if your area gets deep snow or drifting. They are basically a piece of flat stock bolted to the side of the blower.

Hope I helped out some.

Happy Holidays,
  3. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

You can get two-stage blowers for Craftsman tractors...they work great !
  4. Snowbully

Snowbully Junior Member

I mounted up a 42" blade to my 22.5hp sears garden tractor last week. It is a heavier tractor that has big 24x12x12 rear tires. I put the craftsman 55lb weights on the rears, and a set of 2 bar chains on the rears too. I was pretty impressed overall. I plow a oval track for ice racing on my lake, and always used atv's in the past. Well the garden tractor is not as fast, but it surely got it done. I was able to plow a huge track this year.
    It worked well on the ice, with weights and chains. I also did all the cleanup on the driveways and walks that my truck plow could not geld plow all easily. I hate snowblowing/shovelling, but man, I'd rather plow any day. In my casegh, I got the plow blade and it was cheaper to get it going than to buy an atv for sure. I have not used my blowers in years.