1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor loader with box.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gallden, Mar 18, 2014.

1. gallden

gallden Member

We've been thinking about this for some time. We have lots that are big enough for this obviously, but not sure what we would need by way of the actual tractor. Can anyone share some minimum requirements with me. HP? 4x4? Thanks for your help!
  2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

You mean a pusher...like a sectional?

4X is always best, and the manufacturer of the box will always have parameters for size/hp/weight...like a 12' medium duty needs 90 hp and up to 18,000 lbs.
  3. gallden

gallden Member

Yeah that's what I mean, sorry. So a 65 hp isn't coming close is it?
  4. johnhenry1933

Well, sure, for an 8' or 10' light duty pusher.
  5. gallden

gallden Member

So anything bigger than 10' you'd suggest going with 90hp +/-?
  6. johnhenry1933

You have to go by the manufacturer's specifications.

I don't know of any 12' or 14' pusher that will work well on a 65 hp tractor (unless it's just fluff you're pushing on a downhill).
  7. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Maybe with a 8' pusher. I use a 310G backhoe with a boss bx12 and it won't push that size pusher unless the snow is really soft and light. Only can use 1st gear. If it's heavier snow once the pusher fills up you are done.

You want in the 100hp range for that size pusher on a tractor. I have a john deere 6430 tractor and we lose traction before we run out of pushing power.
  8. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I'm using a 10ft western pile driver on a 74 hp tractor with fluid in the rear tires and I had no trouble at all pushing it. All snows except 1 did I pushed in high range