1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor for plowing?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by kolkie05, Oct 7, 2010.

1. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Guy's,

I'm in need of something to clear parking spaces at a condo building because of tight areas I can't fit the truck into.

I was doing some research and came across a 4x4 John Deere enclosed cab tractor with a 54" plow on it.

Do you think this thing could handle plowing parking spaces without a problem?

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Don't expect a lot of productivity from a 54" plow. It's a good size for sidewalks but not parking lots.

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a great place for a skid steer.

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Ya, I'd say a skid steer would be a better fit. Even if it was a smaller frame machine, the maneuverability would be perfect for that situation.

5. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

The problem is $$$ I only need it for parking spots the big plows will handle the main drive areas.

I was also considering a atv with a plow on it.

The skidsteer is to rich for my blood this year.

6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

if you need to backdrag then an atv prolly isnt the best option, not enough weight on the plow. unless you get a blackline plow, with the downforce actuator.

7. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

I'm just pushing it straight forward up to the parking stop around the entire complex. No need for back dragging it's just a straight shot.

8. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

I would thing you should have no problem with the john deer. You would only be pushing 10 feet or so. Plus you might get a bit cold on an atv.

9. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

My first choice would be a SS, next a Jeep.

10. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

My first choice would be a Kubota 8540 with a v plow, back drag it out then grab it with the inverted v plow. :D

11. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

since no dragging and if you already have an atv then itll save you some money, nothing some carthartt arctic lined overalls wont cure!

but then your tractor will work just fine as well, might want to look into a wider blade though to save time by not having to do 2 passes.

12. dryfly2u

dryfly2u Junior Member
    from WA

I push snow with a jx1070 c (70 hp 4 by 4) and a kubota b3030 (30hp 4 by 4) and a polaris explorer 4 by 4.
    for my two cents as long as your plow is on the back of your tractor and you still have the use of your front loader they are a pretty slick set up, u didnt mention how big the tractor is but with a 54 in blade it must be a pretty small tractor if the guy putting the blade on it knew what he was doing, as an example my kubota is 30 hp right around 2000 lbs and with the hydrostat it is extremely agile, I do alot of parking lots and if I dont have the polaris the little tractor is on the sidewalk and doing a bang up job. Most 30 hp tractors are a bit bigger in size than this particular kubota but maybe that will give you something to compare yours with, Im assuming with a 54 in blade, once again if whoever put it on knew what they were doing, your tractor is probably in the 20-24 hp range? 4 to 5 ft bucket on the front?
    Anyways, dont know if that helps but there it is.

13. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

We use our tractor with 54" blade for the exact same thing. It will work very well. It will be quick and you will have great visibility.