1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tractor differences

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Idealtim, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

I would just like to clear up the misscomunication about the plowing with tractors. there is three different tractor groups in my mind,the 'Lawn tractors' , which are the lightest duty and shouldnt be plowed with at all.they cannot take the stresses of plowing with any more than 3 inches. Then there is the 'garden tractors', this a great division of equipment for the person who is not going commercial, but still wants to clear a moderate drive with up to 8 inches on the ground give or take.if youve got a pretty beefy machine and the technique, you can plow mountains.And last is the 'utility tractor', which has p.t.o. and hydraulics[yanmars,kubotas,cases].these are the heavyweights.I have never used one in the snow but they look cool.ill be posting pics very soon;a 1970s Ford 120 12hp w/38'' blower.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Hi, Idealtim and welcome to PlowSite. I didn't know there was any miscommunication about tractors, but then I don't read every post. Anyway, you make some good points, though usually I think of the "Lawn" and "Garden" tractors as the same or at least close in size and horsepower. Usually I see the caregories broken into "Lawn and Garden", "Subcompact" and "Compact Utility Tractor (CUT)". I think the LG is up to about 20 hp, the Sub is up to about 30 and the CUT is up to about 60.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  3. danno

danno Senior Member

That`s the way I see it also, MICK. I had a "lawn" tractor doing my 150ft. long driveway for 12 years. From 2" to 6". As long as the tractor has the right "equiptment", it still worked.

4. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

one of two

this is my alternate rig. it looks smalll because it is only 5hp! still pushes great though. jan15_001.jpg

jan15_001.jpg

5. jasf

jasf Member

What was your point for this post Idealtim? I plow with a lawn tractor & so do many others. Don't insult us by saying we can't push more than 3 inches. It might take a little longer,but my little Craftsman has pushed everything that has fallen in the last 2 seasons. The only thing thing I ever broke was the angle cable on the plow. The tractor holds up just fine,Thank you. I have an 80 ft long drive & also do the the drive for the widow across the road. My equipment works for me! That's all that matters. I wouldn't come on here & insult what works for you. Have a nice day.:drinkup:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

My John Deere with a 16 horse Kawasaki and a 44" blade plowed five driveways, every storm, for three years. Worked great. Had tranny problems, but that was driver error!

7. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

oops

well srry if i came across strong but all i was trying to acheive was some clarity between styles and from my expierience, you get what you pay for. if you buy a cheap one and expect to plow 10 inches, dont be suprised if it doesnt work. i just had this arguement with my nieghbor when he didnt make the grade without chains and weights.but hey, what works for you might not work for the next guy. thats why theres colors in the rainbow!

8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2001 John Deere 425 with a heated cab and a JD 40 loader on the front and that thing is awesome.....I havent had any snow big enough to slow it down!payup

9. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

But he DID make it up with weights & chains, right? After all, isn't that why weights & chains are made? It seems you might be arguing a bit too much.

10. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

yeah he did

to answer your question, yes he did finally. but lets put it this way, i did mine in 20min, and he did his in a hour and a half[including mounting chains and weights].And, we have the same size and style drive.

11. DeereFarmer

My old driveway was 175 feet straight up the side of a hill. I plowed it every 6" and it would go all the way up with the blade angled and not bog down. I was amazed how good it did for a "lawn tractor";)

12. DeereFarmer

My old driveway was 175 feet straight up the side of a hill. I plowed it every 6" and it would go all the way up with the blade angled and not bog down. I was amazed how good it did for a "lawn tractor";)

13. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmm... Well then I guess we should make you our resident tractor expert:salute: Yea, I guess you're right. Garden tractors shouldn't be used for snow removal. I guess we should all write a letter to Cub Cadet, John Deere, Craftsman, and other makers telling them they don't know what they're doing by making all these attachments to manipulate snow for the small tractors they make.:rolleyes:

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My snow machine for next year (just didn't get a back blade for this year):

DSC01634.JPG

15. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

All this guys needs is a blade and you guys could sub him out, putting an end to the debate about "lawn tractors" "garden tractors" etc...

[​IMG]

16. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

well soooooooorry for trying to put my two cents in. ill think next time before i try to make a point.

17. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you forgot two other types of tractors .....row crop and field tractors. many people use rc tractors on farms or big drives. no harm here just my 2 cents

18. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

I find this size works well for our applications:

255 resize.jpg

19. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

nice set up! looks like a wal mart rig

20. DeereFarmer

My (little in comparioson) John Deere Utility Tractor is great. Just got my Curtis Quick Attatch installed and I love it! I also have a bucket loader, back blade, box scraper, and landscape rake that help with snow cleanup and spirn cleanup really well. It is by far the best tractor.