1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tractor advice for Normand Blower application

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snoworks07, Apr 20, 2012.

1. snoworks07

snoworks07 Member

For those of you who use farm tractors with front/rear snowblowers. What would be your best tractor set-up with a 86" to 94" Normand or similar blower?

Make, model, etc. Lots of options out there, but for my application, I will only be using this for snow. So, I would like a model that has enough hp and has a decent traveling speed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We are using a John Deere 5101, with our SHoule 92" blower, setup works well, only thing I need to do is add more weight on front, mine has 4 and is a little light, friends has 6 and is better, but in general I think a full bar would be best the blower unit is heavy.
    Just like anything else see who has best service, etc. In our case we looked at Kubota, New Holland and Deere. Both Kubota and New Hollands dealers were HORRIBLE, basically blew us off, John Deere gave us a written quote, quickly, best financing terms as well, I gave felt with the Deere dealer before for landscape stuff bought 1 new one mower, couple small used pieces.
  3. snoworks07

snoworks07 Member

RLM - Did you choose to put the loader attachment up front?

How does your blower scrape?

Whats the HP of your unit? Could you use less or more at your current HP output.

What type of edge do you use with the blower.

Lastly, whats the top speed on that unit?

Chuck B.
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Tractor is plumbed for a loader but I didn't get one & truthful the loader control is a little in the way.
    Blower scrapes very well, sometimes too well,I have the standard steel edges on it, I have heard poly will lessen the scraping.
    Tractor is 101 hp, top speed is about 22mph, at least with JD, the same size tractor, upgrading to a larger engine wasn't much more.
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

We used a kioti dk90 this year with our shoule 92" inverted. We had invested in some other equipment and the savings for the kioti was welcome. Dealer is great, they have a 4 yr warranty, tractor is very well made and had zero issues. Unit is 90 engine hp and was plenty for us. Top speed is 22mph on a 16 speed gear box. We were in high range pretty much exclusively. The only options this tractor did not have was a synchro shuttle meaning i had to clutch when going from forward to reverse and vice versa and a swivel seat. We added a swivel plate under the seat which i bought from northern for 75 bucks. The clutching wasnt as bad as i thought. Just becomes second nature. That being said, if we get a few other lots this tractor will be on pusher duty and we will look into a kubota m100/m110 simply for the easier to use trans and the fact that it has a thumb controlled 3pt raise/lower. Oh and weight kit is a must, we added a 940lb kit to the front, it gets bouncy w/o it while on the roads
  6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Check out the switching to blower service thread in the heavy equip forum, 20+pages of snowblowing goodness! We talked about blowers, tractors, methods, business decisions etc... was even featured in the snow business magazine
  7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Sorry it's impossible for me to say what's "Best", but here's the jist of it:

Any MFWD tractor with a cab, 60-100hp will work. Then look at the options that make the job easier, like Hydraulic Shuttle Shift, air ride seat, swivel seat, push button controls, transmission options, top speed, comfort, etc... And look at the dealer standing behind the tractor too, **** happens, make sure you've got a dealer that will stand behind it.

That's a really good suggestion Thumbs Up

Here's the link : http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=110685
  8. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

When reading on another plowing forum (I dont dare name it) theres a thread of someone selling factory demo Normand blowers.
  9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Thanks JMac, I have those blowers listed on our FargoSnow.com website. Here's a direct link to the slightly used Demo units we have available http://www.fargosnow.com/forsale.aspx#a76
  10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Last week I saw the small but significant modifications made to the Normand inverted blower. They managed to bring the blower 6 inches closer to the tractor, making the weight much less of a factor on the tractor. They also dropped the drum several inches, which will help the snow enter the blower easier, making it easier not to leave snow in the street. The other change is the upper 3 point brace is made with Hardox steel. They have 4 size models starting with the 74 inch, a 82 inch, then two 92 inch models, and lastly a 102 inch model. Steve and I should have all the new specs within the next 10 days. Thumbs Up
  11. snoworks07

snoworks07 Member

I have got a few quotes on the following tractors.

-Kubota M108S, M110 and a New Holland T6020

I am leaning towards the M110 and or the T6020, because of the heavier duty applications they can handle.

Anyone have any feedback on either of these two units? I am assuming I want a machine with autoshift.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012