1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Traction Product Review

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EcoGreen Serv, Jan 9, 2010.

1. I picked up a pair of these at Costco a couple of weeks ago and tossed them behind the seat. Anyways, In the storm last weekend I dropped both front wheels into a ditch. I thought I was totally screwed and remembered about these things. The snow was packed to ice and the tires would spin just idling in reverse.

So I gave them a try, move forward a couple of inches, put them in, drove right out.

They're pretty much like a coarse heavy duty scotch brite pad.. Such a simple idea, but it worked like a charm. Best $12 I've spent in a long time.
  2. getoffroad

getoffroad Junior Member
    from Mass

def cheaper than a tow bill!!
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Good to know. Thanks.
  4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have had the problem in the past getting stuck to the point where i couldnt move more than 2 inches. how to you think they would do, if you could not pull straight forward, then back up on to the mat? i have tried usinng floor matts, but most of the time they would either get shot out from under the tire, or i couldnt acctually pull the truck up on the mat to begin with, and just spin the tire buring the matt.?

i saw a plasitc device with the same concept,, figured me and plastic where not friends normally,
  5. I had the same problem, zero traction. When left in reverse the tires would just spin. I've tried a lot of different things over the years. Metal ones (ended up with a nicely dented rocker panel from those) plastic ones (just slipped) these things just grabbed like crazy and because they're not hard I doubt they'd damage anything if they were to shoot out, they also form to the shape of the snow and tire.
  6. elite1msmith

from chicago

good to know
  7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Im going out today to get me soom of those. Thanks
  8. elite1msmith

from chicago

i think so

lets all remember a pair for the ******** stupid moron girl friend, bother/sister, wife or child that just some how finds a way to spin off the road like every other snow storm and thinks you should just stop plowing to come pull her car out. yeah im prettysure she would get a 4x4 truck stuck as well

you guys know valentines day is coming up right? great gift idea
  9. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Those look nice. I have used shingles a few times before as well as pieces of wood. All worked well.