1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

traction problems f350 mason dump

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cclandscape 28, Dec 6, 2009.

1. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Hey guys i have a 89 ford f350 mason dump with a 9 foot fisher and a western pro flow 2 tailgate sander . the truck doesn't seem to get much traction in a couple of my residential Cu's driveways this Morin even tried 4 lo and still not much grip the tires are in good shape i did have a yard of salt and sand in the rear. How much more weight should i add or is there something iam missing.
  2. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Sealed driveways? icy conditions?
  3. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Yea all the driveways are sealed yea it was a bit icy this moring but have done the same driveways for a few years now in my half ton dodge and never seemed to have the traction problems i have had this moring . Any input would be great

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Is the F350 a dually? In my poinion the duallies just don't do as well as SRW in the snow.
  5. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Yea forgot to mention it is a dually.
  6. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

Also the tires. I know you said they are in good shape, but even after only 10k miles they lose a bit of traction. The little sipes and grooves in the tires wear out and decrease traction. I notice it every time my tires are getting some miles on them. I have 24k on my tires and I'm noticing less traction, not terrible but noticable. I just drive until I can't deal with it any more and get a new set. What kind of tires are they and how many miles? Next set you get whatever you get, I strongly recomend siping your tires. Costs about $15 a tire (or you can talk the tire shop into doing it for free). It adds excellent traction on the ice and snow, ice particularly.
  7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

truck is 4wd? you're sure the front end is getting power? you locked the hubs and the transfer case engages?

does your truck have a limited slip in the rear end? if so, maybe the clutches are worn out and what was once a limited slip rear is now essentially an open differential putting all the power to one of the rear wheels as opposed to both. if that is the problem, i actually have a new limited slip unit that would fit your truck if interested.
  8. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Hey thank you guys for the input. Yea the tires have some miles on them maybe 8 thousand miles but they dnt sem to be the problem. Yea the truck is 4wd and the transfer case is engaging and the hubs are locked. Going to look into maybe adding extra weight and maybe see how she does next storm .... Linckeil thanks yea i am going to have my mechanic take a look at it tom and make sure the differential is putting the power to bolth wheels If its the issue i would be intersted in that limited slip that you have .
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

thats only half true, 90% of duallys have the wrong tires in back for snow. most are highway tread, or all terrains which are hardly considered AT tires or something in between.

Get tires with more tiny ribs, the snow or all season type or a grippier tire. Our 06 F350 dually with cooper ATRs on back pushes in 2wd with 2-4k in salt weight in back a 9' plow pretty easy in parking lots.

Sure if its ice underneath and no salt was put down forget about it, nothing is gonna push snow in 4x4 easy on ice.